Posted by: Extranjero | Date: 2020-06-04 10:04 | IP: IP Logged
From time to time it happens that in a random part of a file, the clear-code is suddenly converted in 'strange' special characters.
As its out of view, u realize it after upload ist app/browser says that's there no way to process it.
Attaching the link to a screen-shot in hope that it works:
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-06-04 10:51 | IP: IP Logged
Do you use Code explorer, FTP ?
Posted by: Extranjero | Date: 2020-06-04 11:16 | IP: IP Logged
Doing all in ANSI Western European (1552), no Code explorer, no FTP.
I think this could be because of reaching a memory-leak or something like this ... and every time it happens, there are a some/lots of &Yuml (Ÿ) signs in the changed text.
Sometimes it affects only 1 line, other times 3 or 4 lines but converting them in a single line.
As for it's easy to identify and correct (if there exists a back-up of the file), it's not 'mortal' - valid only for mentioning .
BTW: PsPad is a great program!
Have a nice day!
Greetings from Mar del Plata (Argentina).
Posted by: khagaroth | Date: 2020-06-13 07:00 | IP: IP Logged
Tough luck with this one. It's a bug that has been reported repeatedly by different users for at least 2 years and it's still not fixed. Though to be fair, the fact that it's quite random and isn't tied to a particular file type/highlighter and happens on even plain TXT makes it hard to reproduce. The only clue is that the gibberish always starts with ÿ (FF) which points to UTF-16 LE (internal text representation?).
Posted by: khagaroth | Date: 2020-06-13 20:33 | IP: IP Logged
Ok, scratch two years, just found one (not the oldest for sure) thread on this bug, and it's from 2015, time really flies.
Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2020-06-23 01:20 | IP: IP Logged
Yes, I've been reporting it repeatedly, for many years, over many versions...
I had to quit using PsPad at my last job, because it would inject this corruption into files, at sites that I wasn't even working on - and then they would get committed to Git repository, and when I tried to generate a pull request, it would fail because of garbage characters in the file!!
Another difficulty of duplicating this issue, is that it is *much* more common when I have many files open simultaneously in PsPad... but when I'm on the job, it is *quite* common for me to have 10 or 15 files open simultaneously...
It is very sad...
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-06-23 04:12 | IP: IP Logged
I agree, there were lot of reports in the past. But in 5.0.4 I got only one report as I remember.
Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-16 12:47 | IP: IP Logged
I'm having the same issue randomly "since ever" it feels, but since I'm using 5.0.4 (511) it happens almost every day, sometimes several times a day. It appears it always has either to do with } (closing bracket) and/or C/C++ commands like else, #elseif, #endif... To me it looks like a memory bug, resulting in memory garbage pasted into one of the open files.
I have made a diff between two versions and the only difference is:
It's a C++ headerfile, 2064 rows, UNIX format, ANSI (1252) Codepage, many files open in Tabs.
Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-16 13:00 | IP: IP Logged
Additional note: PSPad 5.0.4 (511) also crashes way more often (every couple days) than in older versions, which also makes me think the now much more often appearing 'character issues' is coming from a memory leak...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 13:01 by syntech.
Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-22 12:19 | IP: IP Logged
I don't know which language PSPad is written in, but if it's possible please try to use address sanitizer (ASAN) to check for memory issues. This bug is annoying me now several times a day and it's a PITA.
If I can help you just tell me what you need.