You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

#11 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2020-07-22 19:46 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, this is dangerous. A few days ago a script of mine gets corrupted by this bug.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#12 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 06:06 | IP: IP Logged

Dangerous is the right word! I had it happening just again! I was just about committing my code into SVN but did a final check and luckily found the corrupted part (again!). Since this is happening so often I'm already getting into trouble with my colleagues!

If an editor is randomly pasting random garbage into its content it is - and I hate to say this, because I love PSPad - useless in a productive environment (or any environment). sad smiley

!! I consider this a highest priority bug which needs to be ironed out !!

Now I have only two options:
- trying an older PSPad version to see if things are getting better (in older version this bug exists too)
- switch to another editor (the most unwanted option, but if I'm forced to...)

#13 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-07-23 06:11 | IP: IP Logged

I am trying to find a reason, but I wasn't sucessfull till now.
It's combination of functionality and I wasn't able to get conditions what causes it.

#14 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 06:12 | IP: IP Logged

@jan:

Any way I can help? INI files? Way of working? If I can assist, just tell me how.

edit: and yes, I know it's randonm (I'm a software developer, I know what this means), but it NEEDS to be fixed. Can you and did you consider using address sanitizer? I'm highly recommending it to find memory issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 06:16 by syntech.

#15 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-07-23 06:14 | IP: IP Logged

I need information what did you used before it happen.
Like - file from FTP, used code page, highlighter
If you used code completion, clips, text diff e.t.c.

#16 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 06:48 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
I need information what did you used before it happen.
Like - file from FTP, used code page, highlighter
If you used code completion, clips, text diff e.t.c.

Well, I basically did nothing (special). Yesterday I edited code (a file which is used in several releases: same name, slightly different content). I had 5 file versions open side by side in tabs. Usually I'm coding in one file and then make a diff via external program (I'm doing this since years, so it's not new) to add my changes into the other files. Sometimes I'm making additional edits with PSPad afterwards. That's it.

I'm not using automatic code completion but maybe it's active (smart char completion is ticked in the editor settings), no FTP, no Projects.

I have only the editor window and right of it the functions window, no tools window.

Codepage is ANSI 1252, Fileformat usually LINUX, Highlighter for C/C++ (which row counter to trigger it is increased in the pspad.ini file, but it's the same value since years)
I also have (since years) a customized CPP.def file which I'm using from time to time.

I usually open the files in PSPad via context menu or self written external tool, which calls PSPad with the filenames I want to open. PSPad is already open and opens the files and creates a tab for each file. I usually never open files within PSPad. I have always many tabs open, in one row.

Customzided Files as fas as I remember:
pspad.ini
cpp.def
keymap.ini

I just found this at the beginning of recent.ini:
[Find files config]

I don't think this is right

#17 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 07:07 | IP: IP Logged

Checking pspad.ini I just found some strange values... Don't know how they made it into the ini file, I did not edit them. Looks like uninitialized values to me.

Excerpt:
GutterBackColor=-2147483633
GutterFontColor=-16777208
MultiBackColor=-16777201
MultiForeColor=-16777208

edit:
Messing with the colors settings in the editor (I clicked all of them, which made some values positive (the first two I posted)), I also found the option to use windows 10 style. I wanted to know what it is, so I tried it and clicked 'Anwenden' (Use?). Then the PSPad window became dark grey with only some window borders visible, but no content. Then it appeared to reload (?) all open files (currently I have many files open!) and after a while iterating over the tabs it crashed (closed itself) without an error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 07:14 by syntech.

#18 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 07:22 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, changing the style makes PSPad to reload and then restart itself. So it seems to be intended behavior.

What I couldn't fine so fare are the options for
MultiBackColor=-16777201
MultiForeColor=-16777208

But I'm on it.smiling smiley

#19 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-07-23 07:35 | IP: IP Logged

Main fore color ate in prifgram settings / colors - font and background

#20 Re: Unwanted and sudden converting to strange characters

Posted by: syntech | Date: 2020-07-23 08:57 | IP: IP Logged

Found. I also deactivated the following 3 parameters.

AutoCompleteConfirm=0
ShowBrackets=0
SmartAutoBrackets=0

Lets see if things will get more stable now.

edit: but ShowBrackets I'll probably activate again, because I use it to check nested bracketing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 08:58 by syntech.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR