You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

#1 Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: UpsetAboutAdware | Date: 2012-11-14 06:39 | IP: IP Logged

I downloaded this program to my brand new build, only to find out that some adware was installed with PSPad. I removed it, and looked very closely at the installation and found that I did consent to it. But it is disappointing and underhanded to bundle software that has such a bad name out there (InfoAtoms, Snap.do) with what I thought was a good product.

I am a developer, and people expect the software I deploy to them to be credible and trustworthy. I just don't feel that way about this product after discovering this.

There are other posts from other people about this. I am not sure if it changes anything. Instead, I will ask a direct question to the author: Other than InfoAtoms & Snap.do, was anything else installed on my computer?

... Scott

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-11-14 10:26 | IP: IP Logged

There is nothing installed as hidden.
Offered software has special screen in installer process. When you uncheck it, nothing is installed.

When you use silent installation (/silent switch), all offered software is disabled, so you can install PSPad via command line.

You can download ZIP package and use PSPad without installation.

I can publish INNO Setup installation script content or anything else you are interested of.
Or you can decompile installation package yourself to see the content.

#3 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: UpsetAboutAdware | Date: 2012-11-14 19:09 | IP: IP Logged

Not sure that you realize this, but Snap.Do has a nefarious reputation.

Snap.Do's reputation alone prompts me to fully reformat and re-install my machine. This will consume more time than I actually spend using PSPad, so I don't think I will be re-installing it after.

You should seriously reconsider your bundling of their software.

...Scott

#4 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-11-14 19:38 | IP: IP Logged

I don't bundle directly software. i am using 3rd company what offers software according to your location e.t.c.

I don't think you need to reinstall your machine to remove SnapDo Toolbar.

There is several ways how to do it if you can't use standard Add/Remove programs from control panels:

www.securitystronghold.com
forums.anvisoft.com
guides.yoosecurity.com

#5 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-11-14 21:39 | IP: IP Logged

You claim to be a developer and therefore computer savvy yet then say you are going to format a computer just to remove a toolbar? There are plenty of instructions on how to remove that particular toolbar and it's bits.

--
Carbonize

#6 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: UpsetAboutAdware | Date: 2012-11-15 16:10 | IP: IP Logged

carbonize:
You claim to be a developer and therefore computer savvy yet then say you are going to format a computer just to remove a toolbar? There are plenty of instructions on how to remove that particular toolbar and it's bits.

Yes, I do claim to be a software developer. As I said, Snap.Do has a nefarious reputation. As such, once it was installed on my machine, I could no longer trust the machine as I have no proof that there is no remnants of it left behind.

noProof == noGuarantee (developers will get that). With no guarantee, I can't reliably state that nothing is infected on the machine that I create executables on, which in turn are signed by me and handed to my clients as trusted. I won't risk my reputation and code signing certificate for it. Now, I don't think that Snap.Do created an executable borne virus that is going to attach itself to my programs, but I can not PROVE it otherwise. I know of an infection, I have to handle it completely, all the way through.

Therefore, to maintain integrity, if anything is suspicious and I can't prove that it's gone; I do what I must.

... Scott

#7 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-11-15 21:50 | IP: IP Logged

1 - You remove them following the numerous instructions on the internet.

2 - You check what starts up with your PC to see anything out of the ordinary.

3 - You run a virus/malware scan using multiple engines. This is why I have ClamAV portable and some other tools.

4 - If desired you reset your browsers profile.

5 - If still not sure you roll back to an earlier state.

This is from my 10 years experience of having to clean up infected computers.

--
Carbonize

#8 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: UpsetAboutAdware | Date: 2012-11-16 03:03 | IP: IP Logged

That doesn't provide proof it's gone. I certify that my machines are clean. As such, I have zero tolerance, and "go deep" when something went wrong.

If I merely surfed the internet, played some games, or mostly run-of-the-mill, then your solution is acceptable.

I do something a little more serious, which can impact people other than myself. That's why people trust my software and my code signing certificate isn't in jeopardy. I lose that, it's sort of like losing my license to work.

So, it's far more serious for me.

Your option to restore to a prior time is viable for me and I image my drives for that reason. But this was a new build, and I had not finished installing my standard apps, of which PSPad was one of them. I may have lost an evening with the reinstallation, but I know the machine is clean.

And that, my friend, is worth more comfort than any other solution could possibly provide.

...Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-16 03:21 by UpsetAboutAdware.

#9 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: northrock | Date: 2012-11-25 18:01 | IP: IP Logged

Step 1 Installed PSPad, then detected snap.do and pricegong polluted the entire system
Step 2 Reformatting and reinstalling entire operating system

Obviously this comes at a significant cost and you don't need to understand or appreciate the reasons. It's how it must be.

+1 FWIW distributing adware / malware is a poor decision.

This is really quite unfortunate, PSPad was arguably the best Windows app that I've used and the primary reason I still use Windows at all. It was a brand I trusted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-25 18:02 by northrock.

#10 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-11-25 19:24 | IP: IP Logged

I can repeat only you have possibility to switch off any suggested application during installation.
YOu have possibility to download ZIP package what doesn't need any installation and doesn't contains any bundled software.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR