You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Files do not open

Files do not open

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

#11 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2011-12-13 10:12 | IP: IP Logged

Can you please download the latest build from PSPad developer forum and replace existing PSPad.EXE

Go to program settings, unregister PSpad, confirm, register it again and confirm.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#12 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: Blues48 | Date: 2011-12-14 09:33 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, I got it to work on my Vista32, multi-user enabled, not running as portable. However: If I run PsPad with Admin-rights (under an otherwise restricted user account) I experience the same problem again: Cannot add files by any other method than directly from within a running PSPad.

In other words: Everything is fine now as long as I run PsPad with regular (restricted) user rights.
If I run it with admin-rights, my normal user-environment is not able to add files to the running instance (started with admin rights)

PsPad resides under C:\Program Files
Its settings under User\AppData\Roaming

#13 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2011-12-14 09:56 | IP: IP Logged

From Windows Vista, MS add folder virtualization - I don't like it.
applicatio ndoesn't know now that somwthing is wrong, that it can't write into specific folder, cause Windows virtualize this folder and let application write there.

PSPad offer you 2 modes:
Multiuser - this is correct mode if PSpad is installed in program files and works without any problem in Windows
Portable mode - for using on flashdisks or in case when you want to have all PSpad in one folder. In this case isn't possible to install it into Program files.

Personally, I created new folder \Programs and I have there portable applications. When I need to reinstall OS or change computer, I can simple copy this folder and all applications work for me. It spares me really lot of time.

#14 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: Blues48 | Date: 2011-12-14 11:49 | IP: IP Logged

I know what you mean, Jan, and I totally agree: Virtualized folders give an application the false idea that it is writing to the intended directory, whereas in reality the changes end up somewhere else.

Starting up portable from E:\JustRun\PsPad seems a good idea.

I de-installed PsPad, but the context menus remained there. I can't get rid of them. Disabling the checkboxes in System Integration (then Apply, OK, then re-booting) didn't help, Do you know of any tool to remove those shell entries?

#15 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2011-12-14 12:02 | IP: IP Logged

Blues48:
I know what you mean, Jan, and I totally agree: Virtualized folders give an application the false idea that it is writing to the intended directory, whereas in reality the changes end up somewhere else.

Starting up portable from E:\JustRun\PsPad seems a good idea.

I de-installed PsPad, but the context menus remained there. I can't get rid of them. Disabling the checkboxes in System Integration (then Apply, OK, then re-booting) didn't help, Do you know of any tool to remove those shell entries?

Try to run PSPad as administrator and then uncheck context menu items in Program settings / System.

Sometimes reboot is necessary, cause if context menu is in use, uninstaller can't remove it. It will mark it to remove it after start.
PSpad contains Support folder, where are 2 batch files for register and deregister (run it as administrator) Windows explorer extension, if you had PSPad integrated with shell extension.

#16 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: reiet | Date: 2011-12-14 17:07 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, I've tried with:

· Assign all privileges on folder PSPAD
· Open the pspad editor as administrator
· Go to settings/system
· unregister PSPad from context menu & confirm
· close de program
· Go to settings/system
· register PSPad from context menu & confirm

Voilà!

#17 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: Blues48 | Date: 2011-12-14 17:47 | IP: IP Logged

Aaah - big sigh of relief - it works now.

Here's what I did:
- Had to manually run the Shell_unregister batch file to get rid of the context menu
- then unpack the portable version into my JustRun folder
- then run Shell_reg.bat to re-introduce the context menus (applying it from PsPad settings > system integration would not do the trick)

#18 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: samikrc | Date: 2012-01-28 23:04 | IP: IP Logged

This only works for the context menu, i.e., if I right click on a file and select 'PSPad', then the file correctly works in PSPad. Still doesn't work for double clicking a file. Win 7 x64.

reiet:
Ok, I've tried with:

· Assign all privileges on folder PSPAD
· Go to settings/system
· unregister PSPad from context menu & confirm
· close de program
· Go to settings/system
· register PSPad from context menu & confirm

Voilà!

#19 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: samikrc | Date: 2012-01-28 23:08 | IP: IP Logged

To clarify, for me, opening a file with PSPad doesn't work at all when I double click the file, irrespective of whether PSPad is open at the time or not. If the PSPad is not open, PSPad opens up with 'New1.txt', i.e., a blank file. If the PSPad is already open, nothing happens.
Only thing that works is the 'PSPad' context menu.

Hope this gets resolved soon.

#20 Re: Files do not open

Posted by: samikrc | Date: 2012-01-28 23:18 | IP: IP Logged

OK - jumped the gun a little early. Opening PSPad as Administrator, and registering the file types in Settings -> Register file types seems to make the problem go away.
Hope this helps someone.

samikrc:
To clarify, for me, opening a file with PSPad doesn't work at all when I double click the file, irrespective of whether PSPad is open at the time or not. If the PSPad is not open, PSPad opens up with 'New1.txt', i.e., a blank file. If the PSPad is already open, nothing happens.
Only thing that works is the 'PSPad' context menu.

Hope this gets resolved soon.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR