You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next

#21 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-05-26 05:40 | IP: IP Logged

lgk:
When you close the program it will ask to save it.
For some users it is more convenient, if it will just save it without asking.
(People have different tastes..)

I don't think so.
If you open some document, make change (you cut some text) but you don't want to save it, in your case you can't close PSPad, cause file should be saved.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-05-27 08:38 | IP: IP Logged

lgk:
pspad:
PSPad doesn't save it?

When you close the program it will ask to save it.
For some users it is more convenient, if it will just save it without asking.
(People have different tastes..)

When you close application, PSPad will ask you.
When you close the lid (suspend) or shutdown/restart system, PSpad will save files automatically. I think it's acceptable.

#23 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2020-05-27 16:03 | IP: IP Logged

lgk:
(Just two examples: Web browser will not ask you to save tabs with correct settings. They will just do it. Another well known text editor as well.)

1. A browser does not save files.
2. A text editor that saves when closing without asking me would be a disaster for me!

Ask yourself: If you made changes to a document, close the editor and do NOT want to save the changes, what would you say if the editor saves the document without asking you?

lgk:
I use text editors not only for sophisticated stuff like programming, but also for things like quick notes and quick text changes, that wouldn't work within other programs. So I might write a quick shopping list, some ideas, reformat some list, etc. Of course it's possible that I get interrupted and then windows wants to restart or whatever. However, what I really want (and what I am used to within another editor) is to save unnamed files. It makes life really easier if you can have temporary files and just save them if you want to and not because you are forced to.

lgk:
Well, why should I give it a crazy name all the time? Then I need to select a folder and later I need to delete the file too in most cases..

Why PSPad can't do that for me?

Because you are not the only user?

David in Delta offered you a solution, but you did not understand it. Or you did, but would rather let others do the work?

It's very simple: Create a file once (not every time!) on your desktop and name it e.g. "My notes.txt". Then set the backup settings in PSPad as you like. Now the file will be backed up automatically every x minutes. If you open it and don't need the old content anymore, press Ctrl+A and Del. Then you write the new text. Use your imagination to meet your taste. winking smiley

Bernd.

#24 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: lgk | Date: 2020-06-02 17:14 | IP: IP Logged

Professor Bernd:
Ask yourself: If you made changes to a document, close the editor and do NOT want to save the changes, what would you say if the editor saves the document without asking you?

In this case I would say thank you. Simple, because as I said this is an additional comfort function which suits for some people and not for all.

Professor Bernd:
Because you are not the only user?

David in Delta offered you a solution, but you did not understand it. Or you did, but would rather let others do the work?

It's very simple: Create a file once (not every time!) on your desktop and name it e.g. "My notes.txt". Then set the backup settings in PSPad as you like. Now the file will be backed up automatically every x minutes. If you open it and don't need the old content anymore, press Ctrl+A and Del. Then you write the new text. Use your imagination to meet your taste. winking smiley

Bernd.

Seems it's getting personal here though I was only suggesting a feature. That's really not what I am into.

I understood the mentioned workaround, but it solves only small parts of the suggested feature.

Take care.

#25 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2020-06-04 08:36 | IP: IP Logged

I wanted to help you, I didn't mean it personally, and I apologize if it sounded that way.

I understand what this is about for you, but please try to see things from the perspective of other users. Let me try to put it another way:

If you have made changes to a document, close the editor and DO NOT want to save the changes: How do you do that if the editor automatically saves without asking you?

#26 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-06-04 09:53 | IP: IP Logged

I did not agree with autosave if PSPad closes.
There is autosave in following cases only:
Suspend computer
Shutdown or restart computer.
Second case can occur without user mind - Windows 10 update.

#27 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: lgk | Date: 2020-06-04 14:44 | IP: IP Logged

Professor Bernd:
I wanted to help you, I didn't mean it personally, and I apologize if it sounded that way.

Oh, thanks. Apologize accepted. winking smiley It just sounded harsh a little..

Professor Bernd:
If you have made changes to a document, close the editor and DO NOT want to save the changes: How do you do that if the editor automatically saves without asking you?

Well, that what a setting would be used for. Restore unsaved files. User, who want that features, activate it. Users, that don't need that feature, don't activate it. Just like you will do with web browsers.

Shortly said, it's two philosophies: Save explicitly versus close explicitly. The "normal" way we are used to versus the optional suggestion that other editors and web browsers offer.

#28 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: maki | Date: 2020-06-06 15:05 | IP: IP Logged

You probably cannot restore unsaved data if any BSOD occurs, which can happen sometime and cannot restore if kill process or error occurred PSPad. I tested and did not restore any data.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-06 15:07 by maki.

#29 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-06-06 20:21 | IP: IP Logged

Against the BSOD is no protection, cause everything is stopped at once without possibility of any reaction. Personally I don't remember when it occured to me, maybe with Windows XP and it's few years ago.

#30 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: lgk | Date: 2020-06-08 15:06 | IP: IP Logged

maki:
You probably cannot restore unsaved data if any BSOD occurs,...

What you could do is to implement auto save ever 5 minutes for example. Surly a nice feature.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR