You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Odd behavior

Odd behavior

#1 Odd behavior

Posted by: groston | Date: 2022-02-27 04:52 | IP: IP Logged

I have used PSPad for years and feel that it is a great program. However...

Starting a short while ago, it would regularly crash. I have no reason to believe that the issue is with PSPad, so yesterday, I ran MS Security Essentials – it found a few meaningless items and I deleted them. I also ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow and they found nothing. I also uninstalled PSPad, removed everything PSPad-related from my machine, downloaded the latest version of PSPad, installed it, and rebooted. (Also note that months ago, I removed a number of MS updates that are known to be problematic.) The problem has not fully gone away. When I exit PSPad, I usually get a window that says “PSPad has stopped working”.

Something else, and this just since the re installation: I opened a text file with long lines and they did not seem to be wrapping properly, even though word-wrap is enabled. I checked Settings -> Editor (part 2) -> Position of right edge is set to 80, but the wrapping happens based on the width of the window. What the heck?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Odd behavior

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2022-02-28 00:05 | IP: IP Logged

groston:
... Something else, and this just since the re installation: I opened a text file with long lines and they did not seem to be wrapping properly, even though word-wrap is enabled. I checked Settings -> Editor (part 2) -> Position of right edge is set to 80, but the wrapping happens based on the width of the window. What the heck?

Hi,
for this part, You need to check the corresponding option:

Settings: Program Settings: Editor (part1): [x] Wrap (soft) with Richt Edge

(possibly, it was deactivated with a default setting after a fresh install)
hth,
vbr

#3 Re: Odd behavior

Posted by: groston | Date: 2022-02-28 03:36 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks - that worked. Now, if we could only resolve the crashing problem...

#4 Re: Odd behavior

Posted by: groston | Date: 2022-03-01 04:54 | IP: IP Logged

Here is a bit of an odd question: Is it possibly that the developer of PSPad used some function in the newer version that does not work well with Windows 7 leading to the question: Might my installation be more stable with an older version of the program?

#5 Re: Odd behavior

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-03-01 06:54 | IP: IP Logged

All older versions are available (installer and ZIP) from the FOSSHub

There is a tab "older version"
www.fosshub.com

#6 Re: Odd behavior

Posted by: groston | Date: 2022-03-02 23:36 | IP: IP Logged

I uninstalled PSPad V5.0.6 and then installed V5.0.0 and the problems seems to have gone away.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR