You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > PSPad window title

PSPad window title

#1 PSPad window title

Posted by: halweg | Date: 2022-02-24 11:18 | IP: IP Logged

When I close a file inside PSPad (by CTRL+F4) the file name remains in windows title. Is this by design?
Normally the title of an empty PSPad window should be "PSPad (32)".

Background: I need clear window titles for automatic detection of open script files.

Additional question: Is it possible to have one file open in different PSPad windows with cross refresh? I mean something like word, where one program instance may have open different windows.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-02-24 11:26 | IP: IP Logged

Your PSPad version? Tested in 5.0.7 and it behaves correctly

Background: I need clear window titles for automatic detection of open script files.

I don't understand, but in the scripting you have access to all open files, open files count e.t.c.

You can open several PSPad instances with same file. When file is changed and saved and you switch to another instance, PSPad informs you.

Several instances:
1. disable one instance in the Program settings / System integration
2. open new instance even one is running:
-N or /N parameter with PSPad start

From the right menu on the file tab you can open file in New instance

#3 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: halweg | Date: 2022-02-24 15:45 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for the fast response.

pspad:
Your PSPad version? Tested in 5.0.7 and it behaves correctly

I switched to the developer version 5.0.7, now it works fine again.

pspad:
You can open several PSPad instances with same file. When file is changed and saved and you switch to another instance, PSPad informs you.

Ok, thanks. No automatic cross refreshing, only warning.

#4 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-02-24 17:22 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

If you want automatic without warning, switch on autorefresh for window (menu Window or right mouse on the file tab)

#5 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: halweg | Date: 2022-02-28 09:51 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks again for the fast response.
I found the "Autorefresh" option. It's nice but not quite what I wanted.
So it may be a wish for future releases:
Have a "open new window" command, that behaves like horizontal split (with automatic refresh even when not saved). But in place of to half windows I get two or more separate windows which can be sized and positioned individually.

#6 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-02-28 09:59 | IP: IP Logged

Do you mean open text with 2 separate window and synchronize content? What for is it?
I it possible to do it inside one PSPad, but I can't imagine it between 2 PSPad instances especially when you don't save the file.

#7 Re: PSPad window title

Posted by: halweg | Date: 2022-03-01 09:40 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Do you mean open text with 2 separate window and synchronize content? What for is it?

I know this behavior from Microsoft Word. Word can open and automatically refresh different document windows while started as single instance.

I would use it when working on big code files to have one ore more little additional windows with another piece from the same code file. Ideally on another monitor.

Why splitting the window isn't such a good solution for me?
When splitting the window horizontally the code segment I work on becomes small. When splitting vertically the visible line length becomes short.
When splitting vertically and making the window bigger (over two monitors) the toolbars and the menu becomes far from the edit position.

A separate window is just the best way to control size and position of an additional code snippet without touching the main working window.

Thanks for considering this option. I do understand, that probably it's not implementable with the current thread model.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR