You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: sorted file tabs

Re: sorted file tabs

#1 sorted file tabs

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2021-05-18 09:41 | IP: IP Logged

Hi

As someone who usually has 20 or 30 files open at once in each project it would save a lot of time to be able to quickly find the file I want in the tabs list: at the moment I tend to just go back to the project treeview or search-in-project because it's faster than scanning three or four lines of tabs for the file I need.

The problem is, once I select a tab in the list, the multiline function brings the line containing the tab I selected to the bottom, breaking the tab sort. I appreciate this is a UI paradigm thing but it's a real pain. smiling smiley

Something that also would be really useful to me is if the "sort file tabs" function could be called every time I open a new file.

Thanks

Geoff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-18 09:42 by gwinkless.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-18 10:36 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

File tab behavior is given by MS control implementation.
Move lines with active file tabs to bottom doesn't break tabs order.
On the left panel is list of open files
Ctrl+Alt+O opens file list with search possibility

#3 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2021-05-18 11:42 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Move lines with active file tabs to bottom doesn't break tabs order

Well yes, it does, because the order of the lines is important to the tabs order. You can end up with Aardvark.php on the bottom line and zzap.txt on the top line.

If it's an MS control thing, I suppose the only way to fix this would be to also call the tab-sort function after you select a tab.

If it's not possible, it's not possible - I've lived with this behaviour as-is for 14 years. It was just a small suggestion to make things more usable, that's all.

Edit: ctrl-alt-O is pretty neat though. I'll definitely try to train my brain into working that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-18 11:44 by gwinkless.

#4 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-18 12:01 | IP: IP Logged

There is more than tab order. PSpad knows switch between last used tabs (smart tabs switching) e.t.c. and it would be broken by tab sorting.

#5 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2021-05-19 09:55 | IP: IP Logged

Hello gwinkless.

I also find the file tab behavior given by Microsoft very irritating. If I click on a tab in row 1 and the whole row is pushed all the way down, then that is irritating winking smiley

As a workaround I use :
"Settings" / "Program Settings" / "Program (part 1)" => "File Tabs Style:" "Flat buttons"

Advantage: The rows are NOT moved when you click on a tab!

Disadvantages: The buttons are ugly and need more space horizontally.

Maybe Jan can replace the buttons with labels, if we ask nicely? smiling smiley Labels look modern and pretty and are not so high. (I don't remember, had I already made the request?).

#6 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2021-05-19 11:51 | IP: IP Logged

Professor Bernd:
As a workaround I use :
"Settings" / "Program Settings" / "Program (part 1)" => "File Tabs Style:" "Flat buttons"

Advantage: The rows are NOT moved when you click on a tab!

Aha! Nice work, thanks.

Quote:
Disadvantages: The buttons are ugly and need more space horizontally.

Ugly I don't mind, but the extra space is mildly upsetting.

#7 Re: sorted file tabs

Posted by: aiutopc | Date: 2021-12-03 18:49 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Ctrl+Alt+O opens file list with search possibility

I think this command is very useful if you need to work with projects of hundred of files smiling smiley

--
AiutoPc

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR