You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Showing high ascii or double byte characters

Showing high ascii or double byte characters

#1 Showing high ascii or double byte characters

Posted by: therium | Date: 2019-05-29 12:50 | IP: IP Logged

I have Windows 7 with PSPad 5.0.0.

When I do Show All Characters PSPad shows all non-printing characters as a dot centered vertically. I'd like a slight modification to this. I'd like all low-ascii non-printing characters to show the old vertically-centered dot. For high-ascii or double-byte characters (in a text file) can we show them as a question mark with black background? Or maybe something like the Unicode hex value? Like [\x2013].

- So the nyay character, hex value \xf1, would just show nyay.
- A space would still be the vertically centered dot.
- M-dash would show as '[\x2013]' without the quotes, maybe with a black or red background. Or let the user customize the background and foreground color for this case.

The reason is, when Pandoc makes an EPUB file, Pandoc emits a fatal error on high ASCII characters in a plain text document so finding these characters currently is not possible in PSPad without using the cursor to find the value of every hidden character in the file. Some of my files are several megabytes long. So I need a way to find and delete these invisible high-ascii characters.

Thank you.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Showing high ascii or double byte characters

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-05-29 13:54 | IP: IP Logged

Try:
Program settings / Direct edit
OldSpecialChars=1

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR