You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

#1 How convert hex editor file back to text?

Posted by: garydavid711 | Date: 2013-03-23 14:52 | IP: IP Logged

What are the rules to convert Hex Editor file back to Text?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-03-23 15:21 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad contains autodetection. If file contains non text chars, PSPad will open it in HEX editor.
YOu can switch off autodetection:
program settings / Direct edit
AutodetectBinnary=0

If you switch text file to HexEditor from menu View, you can do the same to switch file back to text form

#3 Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

Posted by: dr | Date: 2021-12-01 22:57 | IP: IP Logged

The autodetect option is quite alright, I do not want to turn it off. I want binary files to open in hex, and text files to open in text mode!

I just also want to be able to sometimes switch the view for a file when it opens in hex - as simple as that - and the "View - Hex Edit MODE" option is disabled for no obvious reason.

Or, at least, like we have "Open in HEX editor", we could have "Open in text editor" option, to forcibly open binary file in text editor, like it is possible in the other direction.

#4 Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-12-02 06:25 | IP: IP Logged

Without switching off autodetection it isn't possible.
You wrote about "see" the file in text mode.
When you open binary (or mixed) file in text mode and save it (even accidentally), you damage it.

#5 Re: How convert hex editor file back to text?

Posted by: dr | Date: 2021-12-02 12:03 | IP: IP Logged

When talking about accidental damage, switching off autodetection is much more dangerous, being a permanent setting it might affect any of the binary files opened in the future!

I believe a vast majority of PSPad users are aware of the risks involved, but anyhow, just enabling "View / Hex Edit Mode" in all cases would suffice with a simple warning message when switching from hex to text mode. Or maybe just another "direct edit" setting to enable this behavior?

And I did not use the word "see". smiling smiley Actually, it is more than just "see", sometimes I may just need exactly that - to switch binary to text mode so I could easily clean up some superfluous bytes.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR