You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: German Umlauts ...?

Re: German Umlauts ...?

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4

#31 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-28 11:00 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

Thank you
I wish you a Happy New Year 2018.
Now I'll drive to Lago di Garda and Venice ... winking smiley

@Steffen
I've downloaded it. Thks.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#32 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-28 11:49 | IP: IP Logged

Have fun in Italy smiling smiley All the best for 2018!

Steffen

#33 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2017-12-28 20:35 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
I suggest you to use UTF-16LE. UTF-8 with BOM (Begin Order Mark) is useable too, but UTF-16 is better standard.

Sorry Jan but I have to contradict. Most used format is UTF-8 without BOM (Byte Order Mark) en.wikipedia.org.

You can use UTF-8 with your programming language, in internet, in programs and databases with almost any language. I only use UTF-8 everywhere for about 8 years without trouble in any program.

Using a BOM can lead to conflicts with a programming language. E.g. in PHP. You then have to detect your files with BOMs, which is not easy to do, and remove the BOM from those files.

#34 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-28 21:08 | IP: IP Logged

UTF-8 without BOM is used mostly for PHP programming, cause Apache doesn't accept BOM.

If you want to use UTF-8 for general text, it's better to add BOM. It will prevent wrong file opening. This is the BOM purpose.

#35 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-29 02:36 | IP: IP Logged

That's what I suggest along with my tool:

Quote:
Some rules of thumb when to add or omit BOMs:
- Add the BOM to text files that are intended to be read in text editors on Windows.
- Omit the BOM in markup text (such as HTML or XML) where the encoding is specified in the markup or where it defaults to be recognized as UTF-8.
- Omit the BOM for files that are intended to be shared with other operating systems like Unix or Linux.
- Never use a BOM for text that you append to an existing file.

Steffen

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR