You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > German Umlauts ...?

German Umlauts ...?

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

#21 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-26 17:14 | IP: IP Logged

Just out of couriosity - Did you already follow my suggestion to work with virgin settings in you user profile?

It really sounds odd to me that the encoding in the status bar is different every time. I'm afraid you should rather reinstall PSPad again. This time maybe in a directory where you have full writing permissions. PSPad doesn't need to be installed in the program files directory.

Steffen

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-26 18:52 | IP: IP Logged

Please ensure CP autodetection in menu format is unchecked as I mentioned in my first answer.

#23 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-27 09:19 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

I've read the last input from Steffen.
How about using the format UTF-16 BE instead of ANSI as default?
What is the "price"?
Since a few years I use 3 languages in text files with PSPad: German, English & Chinese.
I use Windows-10.
Thank you.

@Steffen
dos.tips ... I thought DOS belongs to previous century ... smiling smiley

#24 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-27 09:31 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

If you use work with different code pages, using unicode files is the best solution.
Costs: bigger file size - unicode files in case of UTF-16 is 2 times bigger, cause one char consums 2 bytes. In present world is it nothing.

Advantages: you can combine code pages in one file - you can write part in german, part in chinese in one file. Your files will be independent of system settings - you can open it anywhere correctly. You can convert it into ANSI in case of need.

I suggest you to use UTF-16LE. UTF-8 with BOM (Begin Order Mark) is useable too, but UTF-16 is better standard.

#25 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-27 12:19 | IP: IP Logged

hlk123:
How about using the format UTF-16 BE

Internally Windows use UTF-16 LE. If you want to use a unicode encoding I suggest you to use this because BE is only used in some special applications. Also UTF-8 is a good choice. It's used in websites and *nixoid operating systems (Unix, Linux, Mac OS, Android). The drawback is that these encodings need more space (as Jan already said). UTF-16 uses 2 bytes in general and if there are characters that can't be expressed with 2 bytes it uses surrogate pairs (4 bytes) which may happen for some Chinese characters in your case. UTF-8 uses 1 byte for ASCII and up to 4 bytes depending on what non-ASCII character has to be expressed.
However, a lot of programs still don't understand unicode. E.g. Windows scripts must not be encoded in UTF-16 (e.g. Batch) or UTF-8 (e.g. Batch or VBScript) because the interpreters don't expect it and fail.

hlk123:
dos.tips ... I thought DOS belongs to previous century ... smiling smiley

DosTips.com is about Windows Batch. The name is misleading but a lot of people (including you) call the console window still DOS-Box.
But you're almost right. Batch will die and Powershell is the future.

Steffen

#26 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-27 12:41 | IP: IP Logged

@Steffen
not yet. I'm a bit confused.
Rename .. to e.g. "PSPad_" .. what does it mean? No stenography, please smiling smiley

I use for laziness .. administration rights

C:\Users\hlk123\AppData\Roaming\PSpad
Datenträger in Laufwerk C: ist OS
Volumeseriennummer: 5C2E-8FA0
Verzeichnis von C:\Users\hlk123\AppData\Roaming\PSpad

12.01.2016 20:59 <DIR> .
12.01.2016 20:59 <DIR> ..
12.01.2016 22:21 6.041 KeyMap.INI
10.01.2016 13:58 <DIR> Macro
27.12.2017 09:44 9.713 PSPad.INI
27.12.2017 13:22 2.875 Recent.INI
3 Datei(en), 18.629 Bytes
3 Verzeichnis(se), 426.370.387.968 Bytes frei

@pspad
Menu Format - Auto detect CP (Czech only) - from checked -> UNchecked

Size? No problem ... Western Digital n TB My Book has enough places.

To "smuggle" chinese bookmarks thru a text file in a PDF-file with XChangeEditor program I should use UTF-16 BigEndian format to that text file. With success.
Besides text files I use lately PDF files for ebooks.

Now you suggest to me to use LittleEndian. Democracy? OK Steffen has a reason for LE.

Thank you ...

#27 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-27 13:01 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

There is an O’Reilly book ... Yannis Haralambous - Fonts & Encodings
Only 1000 pages!
Next time ...

#28 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-27 13:01 | IP: IP Logged

Autodetect CP causes wrong CP detection n your case, as you mentioned before, e.g. Kamenickych.

The difference between UTF-16 BE and LE is swap of bytes only. Bth encoding are standardized and contains BOM (begin order mark) on the begin of file. LE is more used than BE, but both are fine to prewemt problem with international chars in file. Your PDF will works OK with BE as same as with LE.

#29 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-27 13:02 | IP: IP Logged

hlk123:
@Steffen
not yet. I'm a bit confused.
Rename .. to e.g. "PSPad_" .. what does it mean? No stenography, please smiling smiley

There was no stenography. I asked you to rename folder PSpad. "C:\Users\hlk123\AppData\Roaming\PSpad" to "C:\Users\hlk123\AppData\Roaming\PSpad_" in your case. But since autodection was checked (even if Jan already asked you to make sure it's unchecked) I assume that was the culprit.

hlk123:
PDF-file ... UTF-16 BigEndian

One of the special cases where BE is used smiling smiley
Hmm, normally I don't advertise my own tools sad smiley If you have many of those text files and you're interested in converting files using the command line (e.g. Batch scripts) then you may use CONVERTCP
www.dostips.com
@Jan please remove the link if you disagree with posting it.

Steffen

#30 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-27 14:54 | IP: IP Logged

I have no problem with links which are to the topic winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR