You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: ks1 | Date: 2016-01-06 18:16 | IP: IP Logged

I'm surprised 4.6.0 is the public/current release with the constant problems.
I regularly get crashes - really bad fatal errors, that propagate all over the screen. I'm unable to respond - I have to launch task manager and stop the process every time. This happens almost daily.

Secondly, what's up with the strange foreign characters showing up randomly in my code!?? Very scary that your editor is doing this.

Lastly, where are the past release downloads? Obviously, 4.6.0 is not ready, so I need to download an older version that works reliably.

I've been happy with previous versions of PSPad.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: doctorlai | Date: 2016-01-06 19:15 | IP: IP Logged

yes, I agree,
I have encountered the same problem, with strange random characters showing
up in the code.
One time I accidentally save the PHP code with parts of the code messed up
, it stopped working...
I thought that was a hard drive problem at that time .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-09 07:33 by pspad.

#3 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-01-06 20:55 | IP: IP Logged

In the developer forum you can find all builds include past ones.
Or you can download it from mirror:
www.pspad.tk
www.pspad.tk

#4 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-01-06 20:58 | IP: IP Logged

ks1:
I regularly get crashes - really bad fatal errors, that propagate all over the screen. I'm unable to respond - I have to launch task manager and stop the process every time. This happens almost daily.

I don't have similar report about regular crashing from more users. There were reported crashing after nonactivity from 2 another users, but it isn't crash like you descibe.

ks1:
Secondly, what's up with the strange foreign characters showing up randomly in my code!?? Very scary that your editor is doing this.

I am not able to simulate it, cause it isn't general problem. When I am not able to simulate it, I am not able to fix it. Are you able to provide me exact step by step what will cause "strange chracters"?

#5 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2016-01-08 13:25 | IP: IP Logged

Not sure what's with the spam in the middle of doctorlai's post.

--
Carbonize

#6 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: ks1 | Date: 2016-02-12 17:05 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
ks1:

I don't have similar report about regular crashing from more users. There were reported crashing after nonactivity from 2 another users, but it isn't crash like you describe.

ks1:

I am not able to simulate it, cause it isn't general problem. When I am not able to simulate it, I am not able to fix it. Are you able to provide me exact step by step what will cause "strange chracters"?

To get rid of the constant fatal errors in 4.6.0, I had to back up to Version 4.5.9 (2600) to get something stable.

As for the special characters mysteriously appearing in my code -- it is still happening in 4.5.9 but not as often. No, I cannot determine a pattern to what might be causing it, but the editor is absolutely doing it on its own. I can open a php file, make a change on line 277 (doesn't matter), and save it. Then all of the sudden when viewing the page on the server, there's an error on the page from invalid characters..... ironically nowhere near line 277. They are invalid characters that I cannot describe (unknown character set to me). So I have to find them, delete them, then save/replace the file again.

This is very scary because the editor is CHANGING CODE without me knowing about it, and when I discover this, it's already running on the server.
It happens infrequently -- probably several times a week(?). It happened today, the editor replaced a closing bracket "}" with two special characters (I didn't save them).
This really needs to be fixed because you CANNOT have an editor randomly, unexpectedly changing random code! It's invalid text, so it breaks the code when the php script runs!
If this continues, I have no choice but to use another editor. We cannot have the editor changing code! It seems to be changing the character set on random(?) code in a file that I have open. My guess is that the editor is parsing the file and causing some corruption and inserting invalid characters.
Again, I cannot forcibly reproduce this. If I could, I would.

#7 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2016-02-14 22:59 | IP: IP Logged

I have a similar problem which is disconcerting but I'm not sure it's fatal.

Usually I type my text but often I copy and paste from other sources.

PSPad changes punctuation as displayed in the HTML edit window, but when I open the file in my browser, in Notepad++ or in the browser's View Source tool, it's fine.

Some of the changes I notice in the PSPad edit window:

Single quotation marks:
"Harper's apartment" became "HarperÆs apartment
"musician's union" became "musiciansÆ union"

Double quotation marks:
"Li'l Farina" became ôLiÆl Farina,ö

Hyphens change to ù :
"in 1926 he recorded "Animal Crackers" for Gennett. On the back was "Li'l Farina," and Farina was the black child star - about my age - of the Our Gang comedies"

became:

"in 1926 he recorded ôAnimal Crackersö for Gennett. On the back was ôLiÆl Farina,ö and Farina was the black child star ù about my age ù of the Our Gang comedies"

I imagine it's something to do with the way PSPad interprets keyboard language settings, possible as a result of using Windows 10 with all its strange changes to the computing world.

Keyboard layouts are different from language to language, and where keys for various punctuation marks differ drastically between North American keyboards and European ones.

If the problem is on my end, I don't know if it's a conflict between my HTML page settings:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
and
<META http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
and the Program Settings
Language English

or the way the PSPad edit window interprets the code for the particular keys my keyboard uses for punctuation.

As I say, however, when I open the file in Opera and look at the source code in Opera, these characters cannot be seen; or open the file in the other HTML editor, the correct English characters display. While I would prefer not to see these odd characters, I can live with them.

#8 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-02-15 05:19 | IP: IP Logged

David in Delta:
Single quotation marks:
"Harper's apartment" became "HarperÆs apartment
"musician's union" became "musiciansÆ union"

Double quotation marks:
"Li'l Farina" became ôLiÆl Farina,ö

Hyphens change to ù :
"in 1926 he recorded "Animal Crackers" for Gennett. On the back was "Li'l Farina," and Farina was the black child star - about my age - of the Our Gang comedies"

became:

"in 1926 he recorded ôAnimal Crackersö for Gennett. On the back was ôLiÆl Farina,ö and Farina was the black child star ù about my age ù of the Our Gang comedies"

I imagine it's something to do with the way PSPad interprets keyboard language settings, possible as a result of using Windows 10 with all its strange changes to the computing world.

Keyboard layouts are different from language to language, and where keys for various punctuation marks differ drastically between North American keyboards and European ones.

If the problem is on my end, I don't know if it's a conflict between my HTML page settings:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
and
<META http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
and the Program Settings
Language English

Please check what code page is displayed on the statusbar. PSPad doesn't support natively ISO-8859-1

#9 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: ks1 | Date: 2016-03-04 00:32 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, for those of you who need more proof. I captured a screen shot of the strange, foreign characters randomly appearing in PSPad!

Since we can't embed images here, you'll have to visit this url:
www.kellysoftware.com/assets/stuff/pspad_junk_in_editor.png

The partial screenshot shows the strange characters on Line 98.
What the ???
Why do these randomly appear on a regular basis?? It drives me crazy!!
I'm editing PHP files. The "Code page" is "ANSI (Windows)".

It looks like PSPad is changing "<?" to these strange characters.
Help. If this isn't fixed soon, I'll have to change to a reliable editor. :(

Fyi - I'm currently using 4.5.9 (2600) because 2700 has serious, crashing issues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 00:34 by ks1.

#10 Re: Problems with current release: 4.6.0 (2700)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-03-08 14:06 | IP: IP Logged

ks1:
Ok, for those of you who need more proof. I captured a screen shot of the strange, foreign characters randomly appearing in PSPad!

Since we can't embed images here, you'll have to visit this url:
www.kellysoftware.com/assets/stuff/pspad_junk_in_editor.png

The partial screenshot shows the strange characters on Line 98.
What the ???
Why do these randomly appear on a regular basis?? It drives me crazy!!
I'm editing PHP files. The "Code page" is "ANSI (Windows)".

It looks like PSPad is changing "<?" to these strange characters.
Help. If this isn't fixed soon, I'll have to change to a reliable editor. :(

Fyi - I'm currently using 4.5.9 (2600) because 2700 has serious, crashing issues.

Do you use any code snipets (ctrl+Space)? Isn't possible there are problem in code snipets?
What is your PSpad language (localization)?
What is your Windows localization?

Does it occurs any time or after some PSpad exception if you continue editing?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR