You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

#1 Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Posted by: myf | Date: 2015-01-21 17:59 | IP: IP Logged

While switching between ALTERING (typing/deleting) and NAVIGATING (moving cursor) text, remember few last end-of-altering cursor positions and allow user to return to them. Like automagical bookmarks.

Example use-case:
- User is editing a file and finishes typing on line 50 col 10
-- (= cursor position [50:10])
- moves cursor back to position [20:1]
- types something including one line-break
- so finishes second edit on position [21:5]
- now wants to move to [51:10] to continue previous edit
-- (because new position of previous change has been pushed down by insertion)

Yes, thats in general exactly the same how bookmarks works, but without manual setting.

Currently when I identify I'm going to be jumping often I obviously resolve to place bookmarks, but I rarely foresee that and have to do [ Undo - Undo - Set Bookmark - Redo - Redo - Set bookmark - Jump to bookmark ] sequence, which could be possibly bypassed programmatically as described above.

Extra tidbit would be leaving visible marks ("ghost cursors") on places of last edits (probably not doable with current text component) or at least marks in ruler (just like regular bookmarks).

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2015-02-23 20:12 | IP: IP Logged

I support your idea in general terms.

Meanwhile for a work-around, generally I can remember what part of my file I was working on before I jumped up or down a few thousand rows. I just use Find (Control F) to locate the key expression I want to return to. Usually it's within a few lines of where I last edited that part of my document.

#3 Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-02-23 20:29 | IP: IP Logged

If you know you want to return on some place, use bookmarks. Alt+Left to set, Alt+Right to delete. Alt+Up/Down to go through

#4 Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2015-02-24 14:34 | IP: IP Logged

I also find the numbered bookmarks *really* flexible and handy;
Control-Shift-[1-9] to set bookmark
Control-[1-9] to jump to it.

What's cool about them is the bookmark number is shown right on the screeen, which makes it very easy to keep track of which bookmark is where...

One of the reasons I switched to PsPad is because of the flexibility of the bookmarks...

#5 Re: Feature idea: jump to previous edited places in current file

Posted by: myf | Date: 2015-03-31 18:07 | IP: IP Logged

Sure, both numbered and simple bookmarks are really great, no discussion.

David in Delta:
Meanwhile for a work-around, generally I can remember what part of my file I was working on before I jumped up or down a few thousand rows. I just use Find (Control F) to locate the key expression I want to return to. Usually it's within a few lines of where I last edited that part of my document.

Yup, very often even "jump to next/previous occurrence (ctrl+shift+up/down on selection)" is good enough.

pspad:
If you know you want to return on some place, use bookmarks. Alt+Left to set, Alt+Right to delete. Alt+Up/Down to go through

Yes, but as I wrote, the thing is I do not always foresee that I will have to return to current place soon. Yes, very often I do, but certainly not always.

So in situation I navigate somewhere far from "here" to make next edits, and only then (after consequent edits "far away") I realize I need to return to that penultimate edit place and change something there I have two options:
- Place bookmark to current position, "manually" scroll back to penultimate edit point, make changes, return to bookmark (and remove it, since I'm not gonna need it anymore).
- Undo all edits to the point I finished penultimate chunk, place bookmark there, take great care NOT to write anything since I'd lose history, then redo all edits and jump up to that penultimate place's bookmark, make changes there and remove now unnecessary bookmark.

Either of these options are somehow viable, but certainly not "perfect".

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR