You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

#1 did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: avarus | Date: 2012-08-27 21:20 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,
I used pspad some time ago for quick edits where I normally used notepad++ and I was convinced I used the better editor but today I feel like an idiot because your great installer just set up a stupid babylon toolbar in my firefox and I'm not sure if I just clicked "ok" too fast or if the installer just did it; all I know is the installer is intelligent enough to detect that I already have the babylon toolbar installed because on the second try it asked me to install "snap.do"...incredible!

So my question is: are you serious? Babylon? One of the worst things in the world and then snap.do? Snap what? Holy mother of software...

My request: please add a paid version of your software; I really hate the feeling of editing important files with an editor that tries to trick me. What else did the installer to my pc? Can you see through my webcam now? Really disappointing that you need such ways of making money.

Stupid way of making money. I just uninstalled pspad.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-08-28 05:22 | IP: IP Logged

Read this:
forum.pspad.com

There is no hidden installation of anything. You intentionally installed it during install process by confirming.
What to say when you don't read what do you do?

You have possibility to download ZIP version without installer, all is under your control.

#3 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: nergmlam | Date: 2012-08-28 08:02 | IP: IP Logged

Hi Avarus

Try this one:

lmgtfy.com

--
Sincerely

J. Malmgren
IT-Programmer
Denmark
Version 4.5.7(2441)

#4 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: jpolen | Date: 2012-09-26 00:08 | IP: IP Logged

I beg to differ. I most certainly was not asked and did not agree to install Fastest Fox nor did I agree to install the claro-search bar. Unfortunately, even uninstalling pspad won't change the fact that claro-search has hijacked my computer and it's a shame really since I've used and loved pspad for years.

#5 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: spetry | Date: 2012-09-30 19:08 | IP: IP Logged

Yes I'm afraid your download is littered with rubbish. This is too bad. PSPAD has been like an old friend for the last few years. Yesterday I got a laptop, downloaded your program, and now my computer is infected with Blekko browser search, something called infoatoms which can't be uninstalled without installing it first!

I'm sure you're making a few $'s by partnering with these rogue download sites, but really a user's expectation is that when I'm downloading your program - I'm downloading your program.

And don't give me this "it asked you" crap. It didn't. And to my former point, when I'm downloading your program - I expect to download your program and nothing else.

You've lost an old friend today.

And I'm going to make sure to post this everywhere I can as a warning to others.

#6 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-09-30 20:20 | IP: IP Logged

Funny how we have three people here claiming to be long term users and yet they have all just installed PSPad using the installer? Oh and they have all only just joined the forum and their only post is to say pretty much the exact same thing as each other about the installer.

Wonder if the IPs just happen to be on the same ISP because I suspect this is just the same troll with multiple accounts.

--
Carbonize

#7 Re: did I just install spyware? Babylon toolbar and "snap.do"

Posted by: CFen | Date: 2012-10-01 01:29 | IP: IP Logged

I think this issue should be taken seriously, and obviously if someone really wanted to discredit PSPad, they'd have much more efficent means to do so than by this attempt that you so claim to see.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR