You are here: PSPad forum > Developer forum - new builds > PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 Next

#11 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-05-28 19:14 | IP: IP Logged

human:
Sounds like year 2016, doesn't it?

What about plain ANSI text files, does it work to open 1,2GB files with current version?

Edit 1,2 GB file? It's nonsense. Same as edit 500MB file.
Main purpose of PSPad is source code editor. Possibility edit huge files isn't main PSPad purpose.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#12 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: human | Date: 2015-05-28 19:21 | IP: IP Logged

Sounds reasonable, althought there are times when one needs to investigate bigger files. I had to inspect huge log files once, did it by using 7zip to split the file into 50 MB parts and investigated one after the other...
It *may* could be a good idea to enable the user to split the file if the memory doesn't allow it to open (streamcopy, should be as fast as the harddisk is and maybe not that hard to implement [my Delphi times are too far away to judge this]).

There are some editors handling big files quite well (all x64) - the question "Why should I install two editors?" likely arises.

#13 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: Bobf | Date: 2015-05-29 07:22 | IP: IP Logged

Hi Human,
i agree with you. i use always two editors, because i have to analyze large files. So if PsPad can handle large files as well, that would be brilliant.

Bob

#14 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-05-29 08:38 | IP: IP Logged

You are using editor to analyze bog files? Some viewer should be much better, cause viewer don't need to take attention to file changes and can load file part by part.

#15 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: Bobf | Date: 2015-05-29 10:56 | IP: IP Logged

a good example about this is RJ-Texted (rj-texted.se)

Bob

#16 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2015-05-29 16:06 | IP: IP Logged

This makes for interesting reading regarding text editors and large files along with opening speed. www.portablefreeware.com

They say that UltraEdit only loads the bit of the file you are viewing but that makes me wonder how they do they syntx highlighting since you need to parse the whole file for the syntax to be fully understood.

--
Carbonize

#17 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: mce | Date: 2015-06-03 15:00 | IP: IP Logged

Hi Jan,

I noticed a problem wiht the latest release 2661, not sure where it appeared as I upgraded from 2658, so I skipped a couple of version, but this is the problem:
I have an external compile command that I call with an %Input% parameter and I can have 4 possible options for this (Compile, Suntax, List, Xref). In the previous versions, whenever I ran the external compile I could see in the dropdown "Enter parameter value" only these 4 entries, one per possible value already used, but now, as I use Compile most of the time, I see 15 of Compile values, so basically before it was not adding the same value to the list if already there, now it is, and removing older ones as there is probably a limit of 15.

Please let me know if you need more details, or if there's some new setting that I can make use of to revert to old functionality.

Thank you,
Cristian

#18 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-06-03 16:10 | IP: IP Logged

I will check it.
But maybe you know, you can use Favourite in the left panel and set 4 external tools with same possibility as compier. You will be able to run what you want without changing compiler parameters

#19 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: mce | Date: 2015-06-03 20:54 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, thanks, I do use Favorites as well for some common external commands, but those apply to all Projects, don't they? For compiling I have different compiler options for different Projects, besides the %Input% which I pointed out, so Favorites won't work that great.

Thanks,
Cristian

#20 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.0 (2661) English

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-06-04 12:54 | IP: IP Logged

Will be fixed in the next build.

mce:
Hi Jan,

I noticed a problem wiht the latest release 2661, not sure where it appeared as I upgraded from 2658, so I skipped a couple of version, but this is the problem:
I have an external compile command that I call with an %Input% parameter and I can have 4 possible options for this (Compile, Suntax, List, Xref). In the previous versions, whenever I ran the external compile I could see in the dropdown "Enter parameter value" only these 4 entries, one per possible value already used, but now, as I use Compile most of the time, I see 15 of Compile values, so basically before it was not adding the same value to the list if already there, now it is, and removing older ones as there is probably a limit of 15.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR