You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2018-03-23 19:28 | IP: IP Logged

The previous two major bugs that I reported in this build, have completely stopped me from using PsPad, which is really a drag.

On the off chance that something was wrong in an INI file or something, I did a complete clean install of the most recent version of PsPad, reset all my colors and configuration options, without copying *anything* from the old copy. Within one day, I got the data corruption issue again... I didn't wait around to see if the program crashed again.

I sure wish these two years-old issues could finally get quashed once and for all..
sad smiley

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2018-03-23 21:02 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, it's a shame. Sorry Jan. I know you've had a lot of work with it. But there are too many crash bugs the last few years. I only use it right now because I'm used to it.

I already tried Atom, Brackets, Visual Studio Code and RJ TextEd. But it costs a lot of time until one gets used to a new editor like one was with good old PSPad.

#3 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2018-03-23 21:14 | IP: IP Logged

I understand, but I never noticed this behavior. I don't know what causes it.

#4 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2018-03-23 22:11 | IP: IP Logged

@Gorlash: Can you show the links to this two bugs you mentioned above?

#5 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: tmtisfree | Date: 2018-03-26 15:54 | IP: IP Logged

I concur, I also had these two bugs (the hex insert and the cut/copy/paste crash) for a long time. They are still in v5. One thing I observe is that I never had either when using only 1 file/tab, and the more tabs the more chance I got one of them.

I mitigate the crash bug by setting a short backup time (2 min.), but the hex is usually inserted randomly and you never know where or when.

I too will consider moving to something else.

#6 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: tmtisfree | Date: 2018-03-26 16:01 | IP: IP Logged

Thinking again, these 2 bug are probably the same but depending where memory corruption occurs, garbage is added either to in-memory-file (hex char.) or to in-memory-program (crash).

#7 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2018-03-27 20:47 | IP: IP Logged

Sadly, there really *isn't* any adequate free substitute for PsPad...
All of the others that I've tried (all 21 of them) have lacked major features that I consider mandatory in my professional work!!

For well over a decade, I used a shareware editor called MultiEdit; in fact, I started using it back in the MSDOS days. However, it hasn't been supported since 2008 (the company is essentially bankrupt), so I had looked for a replacement. Only PsPad and SynWrite had all of the critical features that I felt I couldn't live without. SynWrite, unfortunately, has some strange quirks, especially when many files are open (it is common for me to have 10 or more files open when I'm working).

PsPad is superb, and I *really* miss it!! But having a crash occur once or twice a day is intolerable, and having the random garbage pop up in files is aggravating, especially since the garbage often *replaces* the valid code that was there before, forcing me to delve back into the repository to recover what was lost...

sigh...

#8 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2018-03-27 20:49 | IP: IP Logged

BTW, I agree with others that these issues *do* appear to be more common when many files are open in the editor. Unfortunately, that is usually the case for me!!

I would note, however, that my system is *not* running low on RAM, that isn't an issue here... I have 12GB here, rarely fall below 7GB free. At my previous two jobs, my machine had 16GB.

#9 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2018-04-06 18:10 | IP: IP Logged

Last Friday, I reverted back to V4.6.2, build 2750, which is accessible from this website. I did a completely clean install, manually setting all my color and options preferences (to avoid importing any issues from the V5 installation).

I have now run for seven straight days without either of these issues occurring. (program crash and injection of garbage data at random locations). I have had between 5 and 18 files open at any given time, and I have not closed/restarted PsPad even once during that time.

As a point of clarification, both of these issues had been *very* occasional occurrences on all versions, going back years. However, they have become unbearably common (well, for *some* of us) since V5. So I just want to let people know that reverting is a viable option if you are experiencing these issues.

#10 Re: build 261 - other attempts for fix, with no success

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2018-04-12 21:22 | IP: IP Logged

Well, unfortunately, V4.6.2 build 2750 still has both problems...
I just spent an hour chasing down one of these data corruption issues, which was inserted in a comment. The compiler didn't care, but git wouldn't diff the file, so we couldn't process my Pull Request.

Back to MultiEdit...
I wonder if these two critical failures will *ever* get fixed???
yawning smiley

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR