You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

#1 PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-04-01 11:16 | IP: IP Logged

When saving a c source file it happens occasionally that the editor is destroying randomly single lines of the file. This is not reproducable but I've seen it now several times since I've upgraded to the 64 bit version of the latest release. I've never seen this before and I would rank it as a very serious bug because it breaks software builds without having the chance to notice it before. If it happens something like
}
becomes after saving to a line where the bracket is suddenly leaded with several non ASCII garbage characters which I unfortunately cannot copy and paste here. Hex code of this garbage piece is then
C3BF002020E4AE80D98A00007D
The original hex code of that line was:
20202020202020207D
The coding of the file is ANSI with Linux line ending an it is located in a net share of a Windows server.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-04-01 11:42 | IP: IP Logged

This seems to be a duplicate of forum.pspad.com
But as already mentioned I've never seen this before while I'm using PSPad for many years now. Only after upgrading to the latest PSPad release it happens several times a day now.

#3 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-04-01 12:09 | IP: IP Logged

Just a short observation which might help to track this bug down:
Once the problem occurred in a specific line in an opened file the same line gets destroyed reproducably again every time I save this file even after having repaired the violated line. After closing PSPad and reopen the same file again the problem is gone until it returns after a while randomly during work at the same or another place.

#4 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-01 13:14 | IP: IP Logged

Can you send me this file wirh some instruction to support mail?

#5 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-04-01 13:26 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, of course. At least the file where it happened today. But it doesn't happen always with the same file at the same line. Because it contains kind of confidential information I'm going to send an encrypted 7Zip file, the password will be "#PSPadGarbage!".

#6 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-04-01 14:06 | IP: IP Logged

Hm, I've received an error message that the mail with the encrypted source file couldn't be delivered because it contains a potential security issue. I would be glad to be of any help but I'm afraid that I cannot send the file unencrypted.

#7 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-01 14:09 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

No problem. Support mail goes to my pspad.com mailbox and is automatically resend to my gmail account. I guess GMail wrote it to you, but I got your file into pspad.com mailbox.

#8 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-08-04 07:04 | IP: IP Logged

It still happens also with the latest build 5.0.7 (675). Today I had about a dozen c and h files open and did nothing else than pasting a line to the copyright header on top of the files and save and close the files. 2 of the files had then a line destroyed with the known invalid characters. So I'm pretty confident that it happens during the save process.
I think it is hopeless to find this annoying, very destructive and dangerous bug without an idea where to look and would suggest to recheck the modifications which were added to PSPad in the weeks and months before the bug was reported the first time wich was most probably many years ago.

#9 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: LouCypher | Date: 2021-08-04 07:19 | IP: IP Logged

One additional thought regarding my observation that it happens during the save process:
There must be executed some kind of processing of the file content while the file is saved. E.g I have the option enabled to automatically remove whitespace at line endings which seems to happen while the file is saved.

#10 Re: PSPad destroys occasionally lines of source file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-08-04 09:13 | IP: IP Logged

Remove whitespace on line ends is done during editing, it isn't part of the save process.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR