You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > NUL Character Truncates Line Display

NUL Character Truncates Line Display

#1 NUL Character Truncates Line Display

Posted by: inrig | Date: 2020-08-31 03:52 | IP: IP Logged

I have a text file created by an application on another computer. Each line of the file is divided into fields by TAB characters. However, the program that created the file inserts a NUL (0x00) character just before some of the TAB characters. In normal display mode, PSPad truncates the display of each line at the first NUL character, so I see only the first few fields. In HEX mode, the entire line can be seen.

Is this the expected/desired behaviour? Other Windows text editors (e.g. Notepad, WordPad) will display the entire line in such cases, so for me, I would want to see PSPad just ignore the NUL character and show the whole line.

--
Scott Inrig
Ottawa, Canada

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: NUL Character Truncates Line Display

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-08-31 04:29 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

PSPad is text editor. In the text file char 0x00 has no place. 0x00 means end of string.
It means you have no text file, but some proprietary binnary file.

If you want to edit your file in text editor, there is a way. Use file plugins what will transform 0x00 char to some else char when opening file and return it back when saving file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 04:31 by pspad.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR