You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-28 23:11 | IP: IP Logged

pspad504b407x64

When "system integration/only one program instance" is set it is no longer possible to open a file via, for example,

D:\data\Programme\dev\pspad504b407x64\PSPad.exe d:\www\ci\index.php

This is fatal as WinSCP does just that. Therefore, no more files are opened via WinSCP if one file is open. The files I work with reside online on Linux, that's why I use WinSCP.

I would not mind but the version 4.5.8 (2463) as of 11.11.2013 I was happy with for so many years suddenly refuses to save files back to Linux. First idea: it must be a property of the file, but even 0777 does not do the trick.

Googling showed that this is a very old and known problem of PSPad (easy to verify, just take a different editor). Turns out that the version mentioned above does not have this problem.

Now with the erroneous behavior mentioned, I remembered to have set the "system integration/only one program instance" in version 4.5.8 recently as I was sick of all the open windows. I use PSPad heavily day by day, having about one or two dozen windows open, which most probably is not a healthy situation.

Ok, switched that back, and lo, the saving works as ever.

Thinking about it, the first opened file seems to work fine, but all others cannot be saved, except new files saved locally. If you only have one file to begin with, you will never hit the bug.

So I'd say the bug is to be found with "system integration/only one program instance", having different consequences in both versions.

And my statement "the version mentioned above does not have this problem" is wrong, as the first file is no problem in the other version either, but I did not realize this, as I could not open a second file. It does work from within the editor in either version: the file open dialog appears fine, the chosen file opens.

Now I would be happy with a new version, too, but still I would open dozens of Windows which is not sane. That's why we have the "system integration/only one program instance" switch, right?

Another test with 4.6.2(2750). Open with WinSCP first file, first instance. Second file, second instance. Set "system integration/only one program instance" in this instance. Open third file via WinSCP, opens in second instance. Change first and second files, saving ok. Change third file and save: "Error saving file ..."

Now WinSCP copies the file to the local disk, so saving by PSPad happens locally. After a change, WinSCP copies the local copy back to source.

There is no problem with a random local copy from WinSCP opened manually in PSPad. I did this with two files. WinSCP notices the change, reconnects to the server automatically if the connection has been lost and copies the local back to the server as usual. So I'd say this bug is no business for WinSCP.

What do you propose? Is there anything I can do? Closing windows is really annoying, closing tabs is fast and easy. I'd really like to have that.

PS: There is no program for PHP (and other languages maybe, I use occasionally Javascript, Erlang, shell, SQL) I could swap PSPad for. I wonder why the others don't copy all the fine features of PSPad. The function list and class support, for example, I could not work without. Of course, sometimes vi or nano on Linux are faster, but only for small stuff. Therefore PSPad is an extremely important tool for me with no substitute.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-28 23:27 | IP: IP Logged

Having sent this post, I went back to work. I closed pspad504b407x64.

I had set pspad504b407x64 default editor for WinSCP, opened and edited the first file, then the second -- it opened in the same instance.

What is this? It would not open before.

I edited and saved -- no problem. Same with the next.

Now what kind of bug is this? How much time did I spend with this bug now?

Sorry, seems like everything is as it should. Let's see if the bug returns.

#3 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 00:33 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, went fine with 3 files, the 4th would not open.

#4 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-05-29 02:52 | IP: IP Logged

There are 2 problems
1. Switch off skin if youbusevthe dark to Windows skin.
2. Integration must be set to DLL, not a registry. With registry integration, windows starts PSPad instance for each file. If you select and open 4 files, 4 PSPad are started and must send files to first one.

#5 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-05-29 02:57 | IP: IP Logged

PaulPic:
Having sent this post, I went back to work. I closed pspad504b407x64.

I had set pspad504b407x64 default editor for WinSCP, opened and edited the first file, then the second -- it opened in the same instance.

What is this? It would not open before.

I edited and saved -- no problem. Same with the next.

Now what kind of bug is this? How much time did I spend with this bug now?

Sorry, seems like everything is as it should. Let's see if the bug returns.

I don't understand. If one instance is enabled, all is sent to one PSPad if PSPad is running. If you need more instances, enable it in the program settings / system or run pspad with -N parameter

#6 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 11:39 | IP: IP Logged

Now same behavior as told in original post...

#7 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 11:46 | IP: IP Logged

Quote:
I don't understand. If one instance is enabled, all is sent to one PSPad if PSPad is running.

That's how it should be. I want one instance only. Simple as that.

I do not know how to describe the faulty behavior more clearly than I did. So I must repeat myself.

Version running is 5.0.4, "system integration/only one program instance" is set.

D:\www\ci>D:\data\Programme\dev\pspad504b407x64\PSPad.exe d:\www\ci\index.php

does nothing. Calling a file via WinSCP does nothing.

What can I do to help you (and me)?

#8 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 11:51 | IP: IP Logged

Closed instance.

Called first file via WinSCP, ok. Called second file via WinSCP, ok.

Changed both, saved both, ok.

Opened 3 more the same way, no problem. Changed and saved last, ok.

What kind of a problem did I have?

No bug, no debugging. I'll keep you informed.

#9 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 12:31 | IP: IP Logged

Works like a charm now, great relief, really much easier with one instance only.

#10 Re: no cli/saving when only one instance with 2 versions of PSPad

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2020-05-29 16:51 | IP: IP Logged

Still fine -- my hypothesis is that changing "system integration/only one program instance" requires a restart.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR