You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

#1 File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Posted by: JSvendsen | Date: 2024-04-25 20:55 | IP: IP Logged

I have a data file that was created in Linux. Linux says it is 485,773 bytes. I downloaded it to my laptop and set it to "read only". File Explorer says it is 485,773 bytes. The file has 703 records that are 690 bytes of data plus 1 byte for the Linux CR, which totals 485,773 bytes. When I open the file with PSPad, on the status line at the bottom is says the file is Unix and the size is 486,476. If I use CTRL+A to select all of the data, that number changes to 485,070. Neither one seems to be correct, or is at least confusing. Please explain.

Thanks for a great product!

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2024-04-26 03:36 | IP: IP Logged

Status bar shows number of chars, not the filesize. If you want to see filesize, see the file information from the file menu

#3 Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Posted by: JSvendsen | Date: 2024-04-26 17:20 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Status bar shows number of chars, not the filesize. If you want to see filesize, see the file information from the file menu

But I don't have 486,476 characters in my file. I only have 485,773. Are you adding 703 characters for an imaginary windows linefeed on each record, even though those aren't actually in my file? I find that misleading.

#4 Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2024-04-27 05:24 | IP: IP Logged

When document is loaded, it's converted to unicode and all cr/lf are changed to Cr+Lf to be able edit document.
Original state is constructed back when you save it.

#5 Re: File size at bottom of screen confusing or inaccurate. ver. 5.0.7

Posted by: JSvendsen | Date: 2024-05-01 21:03 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you!

This makes sense. I'll just be more careful with that size indicator from now on.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR