You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

#1 Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: obones | Date: 2023-09-21 09:57 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,

I have just updated PSPad to 5.0.7 and to my great despair, the font in the editor is smoothed, making it barely readable to me.
The previous version (5.0.6) did not activate font smoothing in the editor, and that's the way I want it to be.
On a 96DPI monitor, font smoothing actually means that everything is blurry, adding lots of eye strain.

I could not find a way to disable this in the various options, so am sticking to 5.0.6 for the moment.

Thanks for your answers.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-09-21 10:55 | IP: IP Logged

Open program settings / Direct edit button
find line UseClearType
and change value to 0:
UseClearType=0

#3 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: fanoush | Date: 2023-10-23 07:51 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks, this does work but when you then go and change font (e.g. to Courier New) it comes back.

I needed to set font directly in the config file too and then it works.

#4 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-10-23 08:09 | IP: IP Logged

This should be permanent.

#5 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: fanoush | Date: 2023-10-23 08:24 | IP: IP Logged

It is not. I upgraded from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7 (64 bit) and the font changed to Consolas and cleartype got enabled, fortunately I found this topic. When changing it to 0 it really turns cleartype off but then when switching font back to Courier New cleartype is enabled again (and setting still has UseClearType=0).

After exiting pspad in this state and starting again cleartype is again off but font change was not applied and I had Consolas again. The only way to change both was to go to direct edit and change both cleartype and font directly there then exit pspad and start again.

[Special settings]
UseClearType=0
[Font]
Name=Courier New
HEXName=Courier New
LOGFontName=Courier New

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 08:25 by fanoush.

#6 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-10-23 08:52 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

I just tested. I use Fira code font. even I changed it to Consolas or Courier New, no clear type was activated.
Can you please test it with 5.5.1 (32b) from PSpad developer forum?

For test unzip it somewhere out of program files and run PSPad.exe from this folder.
PSpad will behave as portable and all settings will be stored into files in this folder.

#7 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: fanoush | Date: 2023-10-23 11:13 | IP: IP Logged

Tried latest 32bit pspad551b790 and it behaves the same. In fact this is some bug when changing font. Any font change, even just opening font dialog, keeping same font and clicking OK enables cleartype again. But fortunately this is only temporary, exiting an relaunching pspad helps. This is Windows 11 with latest updates BTW.

Anyway, since this is only temporary it doesn't matter much, I don't change fonts so often smiling smiley

You can see it here ibb.co - opening dialog and clicking OK. Just open the images fully as otherwise they are scaled down and font smoothing difference is not visible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 11:18 by fanoush.

#8 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-10-23 12:08 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for info.
I will call clear type disabling after font change.

#9 Re: Disable font smoothing in 5.0.7

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-11-15 08:40 | IP: IP Logged

Done, available in the next build

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR