You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

#1 C0 control characters in ASCII table

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2022-09-04 12:56 | IP: IP Logged

tl;dr: Please re-establish the support of C0 control characters in the ASCII table.

If I recall correctly, until version 4 we had the possibility to select characters with lower value than 0x20 (space) in the ASCII table. That's been quite handy for the following reasons:

- I prefer to have spaces for code indentation. For that reason my configuration of the tab-key behavior is to write 2 spaces instead of a tab character. This makes it kind of impossible to write a tab character in text without the opportunity to select a tab (0x09) in the ASCII table.

- Command-line interface (such like the Windows 10 console host and Virtual Terminal emulators) support Virtual Terminal sequences (a.k.a. ANSI escape sequences). They do usually begin with an ESC (0x1b) character. Also other low order ASCII characters like BEL (0x07) are frequently used. As to my understanding, PSPad does not provide any possibility to get and insert such characters anymore.

Thanks!
Steffen

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-09-05 04:38 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

It was removed due to automatic generation od char tables for different encodings.
I can return it back.

#3 Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2022-09-05 20:00 | IP: IP Logged

That would be great, Jan!

There might be a little difficulty in terms of automatically generated tables because the order of the control characters in EBCDIC varies from any other encodings. Depending on what possibilities you have to generate the tables it could be necessary to handle EBCDIC separately sad smiley

BR
Steffen

#4 Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-09-16 12:12 | IP: IP Logged

In the next build control chars will be added including EBCDIC char sets

#5 Re: C0 control characters in ASCII table

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2022-10-23 09:45 | IP: IP Logged

Hello Jan,

I've seen space and tab characters are back in the list. That makes life easier for me already smiling smiley Thanks!

Steffen

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR