You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > "replace" takes a long time

"replace" takes a long time

#1 "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: Peter.eisentraeger2 | Date: 2022-03-30 08:03 | IP: IP Logged

I often have text files with 100k+ lines. While "Search and replace" pspad scrolls through the file and shows what happens. It works find but notepad++ does the job much faster. The same thing with "insert text into lines"

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-03-30 10:41 | IP: IP Logged

What PSpad version do you use?

#3 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: Peter.eisentraeger2 | Date: 2022-04-01 12:45 | IP: IP Logged

I use the latest 727 version

#4 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: Peter.eisentraeger2 | Date: 2022-04-13 09:01 | IP: IP Logged

I recently see another long time running thing. I search for a string and want to generate a list of the finds. This takes minutes for a 1,600,000 lines file. Isnt this done in memory? Why do the lines scroll through the window and the graphics card needs to show what happens? My PC isnt a weak on. 128GB RAM, 8core, 3.7GHz+, Nvidia P5000

#5 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-04-14 11:56 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for info. You are right, redraw slow down whole process. I disabled redraw for List and Copy. It should be much faster now.

#6 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: Peter.eisentraeger2 | Date: 2022-08-24 05:06 | IP: IP Logged

Hello Jan, I noticed unnecessary redraws while opening a bunch of files at once and while closing the files too. It seams as if every file coming to the top is redrawn.

I hope you can fix the chines letter thing.

#7 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2022-08-24 08:37 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad version

#8 Re: "replace" takes a long time

Posted by: Peter.eisentraeger2 | Date: 2022-08-24 13:08 | IP: IP Logged

Actually 5.0.4 (539) but I noticed this in all newer versions up to 731. Just drop a bunch of text files in the pspad window and You will see.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR