You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Search and replace history

Re: Search and replace history

#1 Search and replace history

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2021-04-11 14:42 | IP: IP Logged

It would be nice if PSPad could keep a real history of the searches and raplaces that were made. Currently, in the drop down box, only the search text is shown and can be selected, but I must set all other parameters manually (case, whole word, regex, whole text etc).

Most of the times, when you reuse the same search text, you also want the other parameters to be the same. For example, it does not make much sense to search for "([a-z]\d+)" with regex unchecked.

And when you have done a search and replace once, it would be nice to get not only the search text, but also the corresponding replace text with a single click on the dropdown list.

Another fine feature would be to be able to "pin" searches (and replaces) that you need frequently, so that they can always be found at the same place in the dropdown box and don't get lost after having made a number of other searches.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-11 14:52 | IP: IP Logged

Use find/replace profiles.
This functionality does what you need

#3 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2021-04-12 12:16 | IP: IP Logged

Ah, thank you.
Its incredible, everythings there, if you know where to find it smiling smiley

#4 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-12 13:43 | IP: IP Logged

Hidden on find dialog tongue sticking out smiley

#5 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2021-04-20 14:43 | IP: IP Logged

If you don't expect to find something, it's more difficult to find. But you're right, I have some talent in not finding things, sometimes winking smiley

I still have two suggestions regarding search and replace:

1. When clicking on a "profile" entry or scrolling through the profile drop down box, the corresponding data could be automatically loaded on the search form, so you would immediately see what is hidden behind the name of the profile and not have to click on the load button.

2. Sometimes, it happens to me that while I am entering a complex regex expression in the search field, by mistake I hit {escape} or {down} or some other key which inadvertently erases everything I have entered. It would be great if in such a situation, when the search field is cleared and filled with other data or when the search dialog is closed, the already entered search text would be added to the search history so it does not get lost and can be recovered easily.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 14:45 by idefix2.

#6 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-21 07:01 | IP: IP Logged

1. I can do it. In case combobox drop will be dropped down and you will move down/up, you will see immediatelly settings.
But in my opinion it won't help, cause drop down list hides most of the dialog.
It's up to user to use "the right" description of profile

2. it's possible to add string even you don't search, but it can be confusing for users

#7 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2021-04-24 12:57 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
1. I can do it. In case combobox drop will be dropped down and you will move down/up, you will see immediatelly settings.
But in my opinion it won't help, cause drop down list hides most of the dialog.
It's up to user to use "the right" description of profile

2. it's possible to add string even you don't search, but it can be confusing for users

1. smiling smiley I don't know how big the combobox can become (I don't have many entries, but since I know this feature, I use it often). Maybe it would help to allow to optionally limit the number of lines displayed. Even if you don't see what has been loaded, if you know what data an entry contains, you can directly start the search without clicking the load button first. Maybe, instead of the "load" button that becomes obsolete this way, there should be a reset button which restores all fields to the default values.

2. I don't think that it happens often that someone voluntarily aborts a search after entering data in the search and replace fields. And if he aborts or scrolls by mistake, the history certainly will be helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 13:01 by idefix2.

#8 Re: Search and replace history

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-24 16:49 | IP: IP Logged

I did it for up/down listing in repository combo box
When you will list through saved search/replace items, you will see result

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR