You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Where can I check autosave interval?

Where can I check autosave interval?

#1 Where can I check autosave interval?

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2019-08-16 17:45 | IP: IP Logged

I work with PSPad every day for years, using version 4.5.8 (2463). It used to save my files every minute, but since a couple of days, it doesn't do any more.

I checked the INI file, the entry is correct. The only thing different from before is that I have much more files open than I used to. Normally I had 2 rows of tabs with about 20 files in each, now it is 4 rows.

I looked for the positions to define the interval in the program settings, but I couldn't find it. My hope was, somehow irrationally, that setting a different interval would solve the problem.

Any idea what I could do?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Where can I check autosave interval?

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2019-08-16 23:34 | IP: IP Logged

PaulPic:
I work with PSPad every day for years, using version 4.5.8 (2463). It used to save my files every minute, but since a couple of days, it doesn't do any more.

I checked the INI file, the entry is correct. The only thing different from before is that I have much more files open than I used to. Normally I had 2 rows of tabs with about 20 files in each, now it is 4 rows.

I looked for the positions to define the interval in the program settings, but I couldn't find it. My hope was, somehow irrationally, that setting a different interval would solve the problem.

Any idea what I could do?

Hi,
I don't use the autosave functionality myself, but the respective setting is
Settings: Program Settins...
Backup: Autosave [min.]: ...

However, it should be equivalent to the same entry in the ini file.

I am not sure, whether the number of the opened files could affect this behaviour.

In some rare cases of hard crashes etc. the settings are not saved correctly and the defaults are used instead of the original individual settings - however, if you can see the beckup interval set, it should not be the case here.

Other possibility could be some kind of confusion of the path to the settings file PSPad.ini
in a multiuser mode (Settings: System integration: [ ] Multi user environment ) this is in user profile folder, otherwise in portable mode it is in the program directory itself.
(If PSPad would be installed as portable in some protected windows folders, the settings cannot be written there and any individual changes are discarded; however, it is unlikely to change suddenly, if it used to work for some time before.

regards,
vbr

#3 Re: Where can I check autosave interval?

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2019-08-19 16:36 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks, but my assumption was correct.

I reduced the number of open tabs to about 60 and everything is back to normal.

No restart.

If necessary, I could raise the number of open tabs again and check again, but I think the evidence is clear.

#4 Re: Where can I check autosave interval?

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2019-08-20 21:09 | IP: IP Logged

Well, today it happened again. I reduced even more tabs, to no avail. No idea what makes this behaviour change all of a sudden. I'm afraid I'll have to keep experimenting.

#5 Re: Where can I check autosave interval?

Posted by: PaulPic | Date: 2019-08-22 10:42 | IP: IP Logged

Right now I have 46 tabs open and it works ok.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR