You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

#1 Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2018-07-14 21:48 | IP: IP Logged

I'm using v. 5.0.0(277) 32 bit.

In HEX mode I only found how to copy a single HEX value from the left side. Is there any way to copy the character representation from the right side?

So in the example above I'd like to copy  as string to the clipboard.
(I'm fully aware of the fact that a lot of bytes are displayed as dots because there is no representation as printable characters. But I'm not interested in those bytes.)

This is no feature request. If there is no possibility to copy these bytes as textual representation then I'm still perfectly fine with PSPad winking smiley

Steffen

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2018-07-16 20:58 | IP: IP Logged

Hmm. Does not getting any reply mean "no, there is no possibility"? Actually a "Yes" or a "No" would have been already sufficient to answer my question sad smiley

Steffen

#3 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2018-07-18 09:50 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,
It seems, the current functionality only supports, what you are seeing - in "File: Open in hex editor" only the first hex digit of the selected span gets copied to the clipboard.
Within "View: Hex edit mode", larger text selection can be copied (although, somheow the last characters seem to be missing sometimes); however, in this case an internally recoded text version is used, not necessarilly the saved bytes.
Whether there are other options or a possibility to add such functionality, is to be answered by the developer.
hth,
vbr

#4 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2018-07-18 10:34 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you vbr!

The fact that you can only copy one hex digit is something new (and maybe a bug) in version 5. In version 4 you were able to copy all marked hex digits. I already thought about to mention that, too.
But I didn't want to confuse things in the first place because my actual question was if you would be able to copy the textual expression (marked characters in the picture) from the right side instead of the hex digits on the left side. And yes, I also thought that Jan would have been able to answer that question with a quick yes or no winking smiley Nevermind.

Steffen

#5 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: feef | Date: 2018-07-19 05:18 | IP: IP Logged

I don't think it is possible to copy right part sybmols. I need this function also

#6 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2018-07-19 06:21 | IP: IP Logged

I can add functionality to copy content as text in the Hex editor

#7 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2018-07-19 08:41 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for confirming feef.

Thank you Jan. It's not so important for me, that's why I wrote in my initial post that it's rather not a feature request. However if already two people here would have a use for it you could at least think about to implement it smiling smiley

Thanks again
Steffen

#8 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: feef | Date: 2018-07-20 05:50 | IP: IP Logged

You're welcome aGerman )
Jan it would be small but useful feature.

#9 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: mydna | Date: 2018-09-14 15:11 | IP: IP Logged

I would like to have that feature too

#10 Re: Copy characters out of the HEX editor?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2019-03-01 19:28 | IP: IP Logged

@Jan

Seems that you managed to enable this feature and also fixed some issues of the HEX editor. Thank you!

Steffen

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR