You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

#1 Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: panos | Date: 2016-07-09 14:32 | IP: IP Logged

I want to use PSPad more than I use my Notepad2-mod editor, so I sat down and tried to figure out why the latter looks to me better than the former:

And this is what I found out:

1) Line numbers in PSPad are placed below the baseline of their lines. That makes them look confusing when their function is to clearly show which line they are assigned to.

2) PSPad uses line break symbols which are redundant. Not showing anything when there's a line break (due to using word-wrap) is clearly a better choice as it makes line numbers easier to read.

3) Line numbers in PSPad, unlike those in the ruler, use the same size as text. This causes them to be confused as part of the text. Reducing them to the size of the ruler will fix this problem.

4) PSPad uses very small margins (or zero margins in the case of the right margin) which doesn't look nice. While text documents are not meant to look nice, a small white space to all four margins will improve how PSPad looks.

And because a picture is worth a thousand words:

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-07-09 16:29 | IP: IP Logged

Hello. Do you use current PSPad version?

#3 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: panos | Date: 2016-07-10 04:00 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, version 4.6.1 (2730).

#4 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-07-10 08:10 | IP: IP Logged

Can you send me your PSPad.INI into support mail? I am not able to see problems with line numbers. Maybe is it config related.

#5 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: panos | Date: 2016-07-10 13:39 | IP: IP Logged

Here it is: expirebox.com

#6 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: Gorlash | Date: 2016-07-29 02:31 | IP: IP Logged

However... regarding the line-wrap indicators, your comments are only valid if line numbers are used. If line numbers are *not* used (I often don't use them in source-code editing), the line-wrap indicators are vital, or users would be *very confused!!!!!!

#7 Re: Improving the looks of PSPad

Posted by: panos | Date: 2016-07-31 15:50 | IP: IP Logged

@Gorlash, I agree with your point. Without line numbers, there has to be a means of displaying paragraph vs line breaks.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR