You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > pspad doesnt remember my tabs

pspad doesnt remember my tabs

#1 pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: LennyFromSimpsons | Date: 2016-05-14 15:45 | IP: IP Logged

Hi! I've opened a few files in a several tabs. Next time I run the program(with clicking on txt file) all my tabs have gone. I tried to open a few files. then close the program, then started it with shortcut in a start menu - it works. But I need saved tabs with click open.
I want to have there all my tabs opened in previous times. Like in notepad++. Is it possible?
Maybe I need to set some priviligies in program files folder?
(I have already Settings->Files and Dir->Save work->All opened files)
Thnx smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-14 15:53 by LennyFromSimpsons.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-05-14 16:13 | IP: IP Logged

When you open PSPad by clicking on any file, PSPad open this file only and don't restore previously opened tabs.
But when you finish editation and open PSPad only, it will restore your files.
It has no sense to restore all previously open files when you need to quickly edit one file.

#3 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-05-14 16:14 | IP: IP Logged

Quote:
I have already Settings->Files and Dir->Save work->All opened files

This option will lost previously open files. Switch it to open files in PSPad and SPPad will behive as I wrote in my previous answer.

#4 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: LennyFromSimpsons | Date: 2016-05-14 16:28 | IP: IP Logged

mr. PsPad
Thank you for a such quick answer!

pspad:
It has no sense to restore all previously open files when you need to quickly edit one file.

Well, I can't tell for others, but for me that feauture is pretty important. For example theres a few txt files with some notes in 1 folder, and when I open txt from 2 folder I find it extremelly usefull to switch beetwen tabs to keep up all info Ive already made in mind.
Anyway thnx for your work. Good software! Maybe u will add an option with this feature in a next versions :D

#5 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-05-14 17:40 | IP: IP Logged

Hello Jan,

please try this:
Settings:
Only one program instance - Check
Save work / desktop - All opened files
Special settings - ForceSaveWork=1

Now open e.g. 3 files. Close PSPad and open it again. All is fine, you will see all the 3 files.

Now close PSPad and open one file by double clicking a file. You only will see this opened file. Maybe fine so far but not for LennyFromSimpsons and I can understand that.

Now close PSPad and open it again. Now you only see the last one file. That means PSPad does not restore the 3 files from beginning of this test. Those files I always want to keep open.

This behavior is not good to me, as I have some files which I always need to be opened. To me this means I must never open a file by double click if no instance of PSPad is running, else my opened files are gone.

Us developers we can not set
Settings:
Save work / desktop - In PSPad opened files only

as we sometimes open files from within PSPad and sometimes by doubleclick.

I think as PSPad is for developers, all files should get restored even if PSPad is closed and we open a file by double click. This behavior ist standard in other editors to. Who don't wants to restore last opened files may use the setting "Don't restore files".

I think that the distinction between files opened from within PSPad and opened by double click can be removed from the core. JM2C.

#6 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-05-14 18:16 | IP: IP Logged

Andreas:

Settings:
Save work / desktop - All opened files

Now close PSPad and open it again. Now you only see the last one file. That means PSPad does not restore the 3 files from beginning of this test. Those files I always want to keep open.

Your problem was answered in my second answer. All open files means all include ones you open as parameter.
Set is back to Open files in PSPad and PSpad will restore your files next time.

Anyway, you can store session (sessions) and restore your sets of file any time you need.
Or you can use projects for similar thing and project has more possibilities than session.

#7 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-05-14 18:21 | IP: IP Logged

Anyway guys. I don't want to look it like I refuse behavior changes. I explain current behavior only.
I can change it to any meaningful behavior.

E.g. quick setting your set of document as default session which will be used each time you open PSPad or in case you open empty PSPad or ...

What I need to make this change is complex suggestion

#8 Re: pspad doesnt remember my tabs

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-05-14 19:21 | IP: IP Logged

Yes it's complex.

I can not set it back to "In PSPad opened files only", as then those d-click opened files will not get restored.

I don't use sessions and projects as it seems to be not practicable in my workflow. (Maybe also a bit to complicated to handle for my simple brain structures.)

I only can speak for myself and for me it would be sufficient to always restore last opened files even if PSPad is closed and I open it by d-clicking a file.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR