You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > strange signs appear in my files

strange signs appear in my files

#1 strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: hago | Date: 2022-04-06 05:58 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,
since my last update to version 5.0.6 appeare very often these signs in my files: 'ÿ ht 㰐' - in various combinations often only the 'ÿ' .
For me this is very disturbing, because the php file stops working and in the first moment I dont know why. then it is often very hard to find these signs in a big file.
Is there a solution to get rid of these signs?

Regards, Hago

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: therium | Date: 2022-04-27 23:51 | IP: IP Logged

This has happened to me at least 8 times on Windows 10 with versions of PSPad like 5.0.x. I don't know a fix for it. It happens in my Perl programs and when I run the program I get an error. I find and remove the wrong characters.

I looked for a fix but have not found any. The author says PSPad 5.0.7 32 bit is more stable so you can try that one.

#3 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2022-10-01 08:28 | IP: IP Logged

I've been having the same or similar problem. I'm running a Windows 10 desktop and I think I was using PSPad version 5.0.6. My system crashed today and now PSPad has repened as version 5.0.4.

This in the PS Pad html editor
<li>Note that Shaw’s first name is given as “Max” in all sources from his lifetime; “Mack” Shaw is found in sources published since 1962. It is believed that either “Mack” is a corrupted version of “Max,” or a nickname, and that both names belong to the same individual.</li>

uploads as a line item, but the punctuation is wrong in the webpage (Opera and Edge browsers):

Note that Shawfs first name is given as gMaxh in all sources from his lifetime; [/b]gMackh Shaw is found in sources published since 1962. It is believed that either [b]gMackh is a corrupted version of gMax,h or a nickname, and that both names belong to the same individual.

(emphasis added)

Another sentence keyed in as
Billed as “Reb’s [American] Legion Club 45’s,” Spike’s band recorded two titles for the Hollywood label, “My Mammy’s Blues” and “Sheffield Blues.”

shows up in my browsers as
Billed as gRebfs [American] Legion Club 45fs,h Spikefs band recorded two titles for the Hollywood label, gMy Mammyfs Bluesh and gSheffield Blues.h

I suspect this is something to do with the crash interfering with the English language version of PSPad code page.

What should I do, short of using a rival programme?

#4 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2022-10-01 08:45 | IP: IP Logged

I guess this is as good a place as any to mention that for the past two or three (or more?) years, I have not been able to use simple ASCII code for the extra European (French, Norwegian and Swedish) accented letters. They show up in the PSPad edit window but not in the webpage. I can enter them using the longer code, i.e. &eacute;, but it would be much easier just to be able to type Alt-whatever.

#5 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2022-10-01 09:36 | IP: IP Logged

My strange characters issue is solved.

The text was copied/pasted into PSPad from an Outlook email formatted in html. All the apostophes and quotation marks were smart quotes. Changing all of these to straight quotes fixed my problem.

Maybe we need a Paste Special option "plain text."

Anyway, I withdraw my "strange signs" question. Still wondering about the Euro characters but not overly worried about it.

#6 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2022-10-02 20:04 | IP: IP Logged

David in Delta:
Still wondering about the Euro characters but not overly worried about it.

For HTML pages use UTF-8 no BOM and tell the browser, that utf-8 is comming:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Page Title</title>
<meta charset='utf-8'>
</head>

That way you will have no problems. Simply type in your character.

No BOM is important (mandatory) for if you now or later use PHP with your pages.

#7 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: madragna | Date: 2023-03-24 09:15 | IP: IP Logged

I have the same problems as the thread creator "Hago". These strange characters keep replacing parts of my code. I think I've observed this happening right after loading a file.

It's extremely difficult for me in my work with PSPad if I want to make a small change quickly and then have to spend a lot of time finding these stupid characters in the code and restoring the original code from a backup. Especially in larger files.

PSPAD 5.07 (773)
windows 10
Unicode UTF-8 no BOM

regards, and thank you in advance
madragna

#8 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-03-24 09:25 | IP: IP Logged

madragna:
I have the same problems as the thread creator "Hago". These strange characters keep replacing parts of my code. I think I've observed this happening right after loading a file.

Yesterday I made another changes what can cause this problem. It will be available in the next developer build

#9 Re: strange signs appear in my files

Posted by: Freeman | Date: 2023-03-26 07:39 | IP: IP Logged

I had same issue while editing files using PSPad 5.0.6 build 589 (previous stable release). There were a lot of garbage characters I've treated as memory corruption/dangling pointers. So problem is not related to encodings. Will try next stable release/beta, let's see.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR