You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

#1 Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

Posted by: SteveBondy | Date: 2023-01-13 16:42 | IP: IP Logged

It seems that in the newer versions of PSPad that Undo operates differently in some cases, apparently aggregating several similar operations into one operation, where older versions did not.

For example, if I press Del 5 times, when I only meant to delete 4 characters, I used to be able to press Ctrl-Z to undo the delete of the 5th character, but now it undoes all 5 characters I deleted, so I have now manually delete the other 4 again.

Obviously in this case I can just retype the 5th character, but I'm so used to using Ctrl-Z (I make a lot of mistakes sad smiley) and the old behavior, so it keeps tripping me up.

Is there a setting I can adjust to choose the behavior I prefer? I could find anything obvious. I'll get used to it eventually, but figured I'd at least ask.

Thanks

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2023-01-13 21:53 | IP: IP Logged

SteveBondy:
It seems that in the newer versions of PSPad that Undo operates differently in some cases, apparently aggregating several similar operations into one operation, where older versions did not.

For example, if I press Del 5 times, when I only meant to delete 4 characters, I used to be able to press Ctrl-Z to undo the delete of the 5th character, but now it undoes all 5 characters I deleted, so I have now manually delete the other 4 again.

Obviously in this case I can just retype the 5th character, but I'm so used to using Ctrl-Z (I make a lot of mistakes sad smiley) and the old behavior, so it keeps tripping me up.

Is there a setting I can adjust to choose the behavior I prefer? I could find anything obvious. I'll get used to it eventually, but figured I'd at least ask.

Thanks

Hi,
I can confirm some unexpected behaviour of undo;
there is a setting for this:

Settings: Programm settings: Editor (part 2)
[ ] Group Undo

However, one would expect with this option unchecked, there would be single changes in the undo history, however, there seem to be grouped as you describe.

On the other hand, after checking this option
[x] Group Undo

There seem to be single edits (e.g. written letters or deletions) which are undone in individual steps using Ctrl+Z.

Another strange thing, this setting seems to be temporary, not permanent - after closing PSPad the undo asi grouped again an must be set again.

If this is indeed a bug, I gues, it could be probably changed back to the old expected behaviour, once it is corrected. (PSPad 5.0.7. 751, 32bit)

hth,
vbr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-13 21:54 by vbr.

#3 Re: Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

Posted by: SteveBondy | Date: 2023-01-17 16:06 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for that. It never occurred to me to turn Group Undo on, because it seemed to be already doing that. Should have thought of trying that.

I'll post again in the bug report forum.

Steve

#4 Re: Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes multiple operations

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2023-02-15 10:41 | IP: IP Logged

I found a problem in editor component. Fixed and reported

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR