You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Tab-to-Space: how to insert a literal Tab if needed sometimes?

Tab-to-Space: how to insert a literal Tab if needed sometimes?

#1 Tab-to-Space: how to insert a literal Tab if needed sometimes?

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2021-08-13 12:14 | IP: IP Logged

Hi

I have configured PSPad to insert spaces in the text when I enter tab. That is the way I need it 99.9% of the time.

However, there are exceptions when I want to insert a tab character to the text. Is that possible without changing temporarily the PSPad configuration and changing it back afterward?

It looks like I can't even insert a tab character from the clipboard, it's also converted to spaces.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-10 08:49 by Stefan.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Tab instead of spaces

Posted by: Vany | Date: 2021-09-03 12:10 | IP: IP Logged

the only way I have found is to replace via Sear and Replace dialog, search for your chosen char, replace by '\t', check regex and choose selected text only winking smiley to be sure you might check the confirm each.

--
Vany
(PSPad 5.5.1.812 x32, W10h/p x64 en/cs)

#3 Re: Tab instead of spaces

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2021-09-03 18:14 | IP: IP Logged

idefix2:
Hi

I have configured PSPad to insert spaces in the text when I enter tab. That is the way I need it 99.9% of the time.

However, there are exceptions when I want to insert a tab character to the text. Is that possible without changing temporarily the PSPad configuration and changing it back afterward?

It looks like I can't even insert a tab character from the clipboard, it's also converted to spaces.

Hi,
for rare usage of tabs, I'd use the already mentioned trick with regex replacement with \t

For convenience, a script can be used to handle this, cf. the proposed code for one previous request:

forum.pspad.com

there are also other suggestions for handling tabs with different settings.

(However, pasting a real tab from elswhere via clipboard works for me normally too.)

hth,
vbr

#4 Re: Tab instead of spaces

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-09-03 18:58 | IP: IP Logged

For converting tabs to spaces is action in the menu Edit.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR