You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: Dave_in_Austin | Date: 2021-05-07 02:32 | IP: IP Logged

Have been using PSPAD (and supporting) for many years. It has been rock solid and I am a power user editing 10-20 very large text files simultaneously. I run my life around PSPAD. Unfortunately, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 are crashing regularly, especially as I try to drag files from the Windows explorer into PSPad to open them - something that worked for years without a single glitch.

(I have also noticed in 5.0.6 recently occasional corruptions... little strings of perhaps 6-8 control characters inserted into the file, always in column 1).

While I do like to help debug, my text editor is not a casual "use once every month or two" thing. I need something stable that doesn't crash and does not corrupt files.

Please provide a link to 5.0.4 (Many open source software packages routinely provide links to previous versions for exactly this reason).

Thanks!

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-07 02:36 | IP: IP Logged

Links to all previous versions are available on the fosshub - primary download site.
Visit: www.fosshub.com
Switch to "Older versions" and you have there all version from 4.5.0

If current 5.0.7 crash for you, I need exception report(s) to be able to fix it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-07 04:33 by pspad.

#3 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: therium | Date: 2021-05-07 11:01 | IP: IP Logged

Hello. I did a search on Fosshub and could only find PSPad 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. Do you have a direct link to PSPad 5.0.4 on Fosshub or anywhere else?

Thank you.

#4 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: therium | Date: 2021-05-07 11:04 | IP: IP Logged

Hello OP,
I have put up PSPad 5.0.4 portable version as a .zip file here: www.dropbox.com

#5 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-07 11:09 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

Follow the link I provided
www.fosshub.com
or go to FossHub through PSPad web
When you scroll little lower, you will see tab "ChangeLog" and next to it is tab "Older version"
This link points to:
www.fosshub.com

#6 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: therium | Date: 2021-05-07 11:39 | IP: IP Logged

Sorry, I found the "older version" tab, but it didn't look like a tab, so I didn't really see it the first time. smiling smiley

My mistake.

#7 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: Dave_in_Austin | Date: 2021-05-08 15:59 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks, I was able to find 5.0.4 (thanks to the other reader who mentioned that "older versions" is a slightly difficult to spot).

I have 5.0.7 on one machine and 5.0.6 on another and have sent in crash logs from both. Yesterday and today PSPad is behaving a bit better, so I will not back down to 5.0.4 quite yet. I can tolerate a crash every 5 days or so. I can't tolerate multiple crashes in one day (as was happening on Wednesday). I will continue to send in crash reports until it becomes too disruptive.

The symptom seems to point to something having to do with dragging files from Windows explorer into the open PSPad window. Opening from the "File->Open" menu is solid.

#8 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-08 16:09 | IP: IP Logged

Please send all report and don't forget information what causes exception, e.g. drag from explorer.

#9 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: Dave_in_Austin | Date: 2021-05-09 22:02 | IP: IP Logged

More information - there is a chance that this is caused by something Microsoft introduced in one of its constant stream of security updates.

The clue is that I have now twice observed a possibly related behavior with GIMP 2.10 imaging. After an hour of two of working with images, GIMP suddenly stops recognizing the drag-and-drop operation. Unlike PSPad, GIMP doesn't crash. However, it stops recognizing the drag-and-drop request to open a new file. Also, like PSPad, the regular File->Open dialog continues to work (but is much less convenient when you are doing dozens of edits on files in different directories).

The PSPad crash occurs on two different machines. Both are Windows 10 machines, but otherwise significantly different configurations.

My home machine is as follows:

Windows Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Windows Version: 20H2
OS Build: 19042.928

There are several inconclusive threads on the internet about drag-and-drop issues thought to be related to a corrupt Internet Explorer problem. For example:

windowsloop.com

Next time PSPad starts having issues, I will try this and see if it stabilizes PSPad again.

That having been said, even if Windows 10 is causing the problem, the GIMP reaction would be preferable: Ie: defensively refuse the drag-and-drop. (Displaying a helpful warning would be even better) The current behavior risks corrupting other open files in the editor.

Thanks!

#10 Re: 5.0.6/5.0.7 Unstable Please Provide 5.0.4

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-05-10 04:31 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for info.
If you find a some time, please give the the current 5.0.7 build a chance

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR