You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

#1 Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2021-04-04 23:42 | IP: IP Logged

When I press the shortcut for Auto Completion (e.g. Ctrl+J), a window appears with a maximum of 20 items to choose from. But I need very much more, e.g. for "_GUICtrlRichEdit_..." there are almost 100 functions and for "_WinAPI_..." there are more than 1,000 items, plus the words from the document.

How can I increase the number of items in the Autocomplete window?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-05 05:09 | IP: IP Logged

I can increase it to some reasonable limit.
Search in 1000 items has no sense. You won't be able to find proper item in shorter time in compare you will write it manually.

For your _WinAPI_ base, if you write another one or 2 chars, you will get narrow list of item where you can easily choose item you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-05 05:11 by pspad.

#3 Re: Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2021-04-05 22:53 | IP: IP Logged

You're right of course, but the list isn't just useful for autocomplete, so to write faster or less, but it's a tool for finding "what was that function called?". Or just to browse which functions are available to find a suitable one. Or to find an idea, e.g. which methods has the control X? ... But I digress winking smiley

Maybe you already have a sensible limit in mind. If you're looking for a sensible limit, check it out at Delphi, for example. In Lazarus, I just looked it up, it's for "Application." almost 300 elements, for "Form." over 400.

I'm happy about any increase you choose! And I think other users are happy too! smiling smiley

#4 Re: Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2021-04-06 05:07 | IP: IP Logged

In current build 5.0.7 (586) the number of items was increased to 50.

Note, that after each char input from keyboard I need to parse file, user highlighter, definition file for keywords and fill list. For bigger items number it would slow down writing.

#5 Re: Increase the number of items in the autocomplete window

Posted by: Professor Bernd | Date: 2021-04-06 11:07 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you! smiling smiley

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR