You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Feature Request: Close button on tab

Feature Request: Close button on tab

#1 Feature Request: Close button on tab

Posted by: rovf | Date: 2020-09-04 07:45 | IP: IP Logged

Currently, if I have several tabs open and want to close some of them, I have two possibilities:

(1) Click on each tab I want to close, and select File/Close (or use the corresponding keyboard shortcut), or

(2) Double-click on the tab, provided I have activated this feature in the settings.

(1) is convenient if I want to close the current tab, but cumbersome if I want to close several ones.

(2) is convenient for people for whom a double click is convenient. It's a question of motoric. I try to do as much as possible with a single click, and I have set on my system the double-click interval higher than the default, because I otherwise have trouble double-clicking fast enough so that Windows recognizes it as double click instead of two single clicks.

My proposal is that another possibilitiy is offered to close a tab (of course, not mandatory, but configurable via the options, so that users are nor forced to use them). Here a few suggestions for the user interaction (of course it would be sufficient to implement only one of them):

(a) Have a small X displayed on the tab. A single click on this X closes the tab.

(b) Draw a part of the tab (for instance the right 20% of it) in a different background colour. A single click on this 'closing' area closes the tab.

(c) By gesture: Clicking and dragging the tab outside of the editor area would close the tab.

(d) Allow several tabs to be selected (by shift-clicking or control-clicking on each tab to be closed), and then use File/Close to actually close all the selected tabs.

--
Ronald Fischer (Germany)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 07:46 by rovf.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Feature Request: Close button on tab

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2020-09-04 08:16 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,
other curently supported possibilities for closing a tab are:
- click with the mousewheel on the tab (of course, if mousewheel is available)
- press the Shift key and click on the tab (left mouse button)
- right-click on the tab and click the topmost option "close" from the context menu

for closing multiple tabs at once, one can also use the context menu of the tab (possibly after rearranging their order) - the options are:
close all tabs to the right from the current one; all to the left; all the others but the current one; all tabs

The closing cross on each tab was suggested in the past and it was rejected mainly for space considerations as well as it was percieved as distracting.

hth,
vbr

#3 Re: Feature Request: Close button on tab

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-09-04 08:47 | IP: IP Logged

Mouse wheel click closes tab too.
Small "x" is solution, but increases tab size and you need to hit small sign instead of relatively big tab area.

In the project tab is list of the open files. I think it can be good place to add check sign and let you close all slected tabs

#4 Re: Feature Request: Close button on tab

Posted by: aiutopc | Date: 2020-09-08 11:07 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
In the project tab is list of the open files. I think it can be good place to add check sign and let you close all slected tabs

I like this option smiling smiley

--
AiutoPc

#5 Re: Feature Request: Close button on tab

Posted by: rovf | Date: 2020-09-09 10:38 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:

This sounds great!

--
Ronald Fischer (Germany)

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR