You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

#1 does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: scott time | Date: 2010-04-27 18:54 | IP: IP Logged

that's the kind of notepad I need.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2010-04-27 19:57 | IP: IP Logged

If program is in crash state, you can't know, what is or isn't possible. There is hard to save something, coz save process can damage file.

#3 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: scott time | Date: 2010-04-28 00:37 | IP: IP Logged

well some microsoft word does it, is there an autosave function ?

#4 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2010-04-28 03:57 | IP: IP Logged

PSpad has autosave function but it works for saved docs only. I don't understand how somebody can work hour and more with unsaved doc...
There can be many reasons for lost data, not only the program crash

#5 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: stil | Date: 2010-06-04 11:45 | IP: IP Logged

i would also love to see auto-saving for unsaved (i.e. unnamed) files. the reason is that sometimes i use my text editor as a scratchpad, i just open a new tab and quickly scribble some notes for later. i don't want to open a file or save it - i just need a scratchpad.

as mentioned, word is able to do this, but is cumbersome to use, and also ultraedit - but it's commercial. also, sometimes i use google notebook, but you need to be online for that to work.

and, i think it wouldn't be very difficult to implement...

#6 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2010-06-04 18:52 | IP: IP Logged

Please describe me exactly awaiting functionality.
What you await from it, how should PSPad behave e.t.c.

#7 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pistata | Date: 2014-09-10 04:50 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,
I am using pspad the same way also - making some notes (lot of smiling smiley ) without saving too offen. Whould be really benneficial for me, and hopefully for other too, to have such functionality as MS Word+Excel, Toad, ... have.

They are saving modified files regurally to temp dir, and when program finish unexpectadly, after next start list of modified documents which were not closed or saved are shown with timestamp of last automatic save and I may chose which will be reopened to that state. Temporary file is open in that case with metadata information about original file location for Save or Save as operations.

Regards,
maki

#8 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-09-10 05:05 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad has possibility to autosave document, include backup copy with previous state - program settings / Backup
Backup can be made into same folder or into specific folder.

The only condition is, you need to save file first when you create new file.

#9 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: lgk | Date: 2020-04-22 18:06 | IP: IP Logged

I know this topic is old, but I want to add my point of view:
I use text editors not only for sophisticated stuff like programming, but also for things like quick notes and quick text changes, that wouldn't work within other programs. So I might write a quick shopping list, some ideas, reformat some list, etc. Of course it's possible that I get interrupted and then windows wants to restart or whatever. However, what I really want (and what I am used to within another editor) is to save unnamed files. It makes life really easier if you can have temporary files and just save them if you want to and not because you are forced to.
In short: The only condition, >>that I need to save the text first<<, doesn't fit me, and also many other programs (like word) do not require that.
What do you think?

#10 Re: does pspad autosave unsaved documents if you crash?

Posted by: David in Delta | Date: 2020-04-22 22:38 | IP: IP Logged

When PSPad opens, it usually opens the tabs that were open when it closed,doesn't it?

Maybe it only opens files that were saved when it closed the last time?

In any event, if you want just to have a scratchpad, why not begin a new txt file, give it a crazy name of some sort to find it again, and just copy to and from it as needed?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR