You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

#1 Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: srce | Date: 2020-02-17 16:51 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,

Is there a way to have real tab characters 8 wide, but when I press the tab key, for 4 spaces to be inserted, for all files?

I assumed for this, under "Program settings", I would set:

Real tabs: Clear
Tab width: 8
Indent width: 4

However, with these settings, I get 8 spaces when I press the tab key, not 4.

It seems if in the Highlighter settings for a given filetype, I then set "Tab Width" to 4, then I do get 4 spaces inserted when pressing the tab key. However, that only works for the defined filetypes. Is there a way to get it to work like that for all files?

Thanks.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-02-17 17:12 | IP: IP Logged

Hello
You can't insert real tabs and spaces at once.
If you have real tabs, than indent and tab has same length and inserts one char - TAB
When real tab isn't active, than you can have e.g. tab - 8 spaces and indent 4 spaces

#3 Re: Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: srce | Date: 2020-02-17 18:29 | IP: IP Logged

I do not have real tabs active - I do not want to insert them - but a file may already contain real tab characters, and for those real tabs, I'd like to display them as 8 wide. When I press the tab key, I'd like 4 spaces to always be inserted.

#4 Re: Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-02-17 18:36 | IP: IP Logged

Hello. What you can is convett tabs to spaces - menu Edit
But you want to have tab width set to 8 amd when you press tab, you want to insert 4 spaces only. It isn't possible.

Indent width is block indentation

#5 Re: Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: srce | Date: 2020-02-17 19:16 | IP: IP Logged

I don't want to change the existing tab characters, just what happens when I press the tab key. Is there any possibility of supporting it in the future (i.e. real tabs=8, tab key=4 spaces)? Thanks.

#6 Re: Tabs (real at 8, tab key 4 spaces)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2020-02-17 19:22 | IP: IP Logged

I am sorry, it isn't possible, cause editor component supports one tab with only.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR