You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

#1 Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: boossy | Date: 2019-03-11 16:31 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,

In the latest version of PSPad (5.0.1, 312), if you use the "Search in Files..." function, the found lines are truncated after 256 characters.

I returned to the previous version (5.0.0, 277) which shows the complete lines.

I suppose it's a bug, since I didn't immediately find a setting where I could enable or disable this behaviour.

Kind regards

Stijn Bousard

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-03-11 16:53 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

On the other side, do you really need see the whole line with result?
Honestly, there is a problem with drawing result list, so the result was limited by the log window width. I just tested and it isn't 255 chars, but more. It depends of your font width.
Anyway, there was always limit to 1024 chars.

#3 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: boossy | Date: 2019-03-11 21:54 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,

Well, in fact, I use PSPad on a daily basis to analyse log files.
E.g., I use the Search in Files... function to get the lines of a certain user over a certain period of time.
I import the resulting file in an Excel file, and then I do get all the necessary identifiers in the following columns to further narrow the issue.
Except, today I got #VALUE errors in my Excel file, because the lines were truncated.
So yes, I do really need to see the whole line with result (or 1024 chars instead of 256 chars)!
It would be great if it could be configured somewhere. It's not that my font width has changed on my system, I just upgraded from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1.
See an example here: boossy.be
I hope that it will be possible again in a future release of PSPad, because I really like this text editor!

Kind regards

Stijn

#4 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-03-12 06:50 | IP: IP Logged

I though about it. I need to change logic, cause owner draw is due to first line (file name) only. I need to change logic how to store and display file name, then I can remove user draw and keep line as long as it can be.

#5 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: boossy | Date: 2019-03-12 07:32 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks,

I appreciate your efforts! smiling smiley smoking smiley

Kind regards

Stijn

#6 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-03-12 08:13 | IP: IP Logged

I found that drawing of treeview note text is limited to 260 chars.
I can add automatic hint and display whole text as Hint when you let mouse over node.

#7 Re: Search in Files...: found lines truncated (256 chars)

Posted by: boossy | Date: 2020-01-08 10:03 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,

I'm glad that in version 5.0.2, the 'Search in files' result list now again returns longer lines, as in 5.0.0.

smiling smileysmoking smiley

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR