You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > MSDOS Character Set

MSDOS Character Set

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2019-02-20 03:02 | IP: IP Logged

I have to work on file that use the old MSDos character sets, german "Umlaute" included: äöüÄÖÜß

It is possible to correctly show these characters using "Ansicht - OEM Zeichen (DOS Zeichensatz)" (sorry, I dont know what the menu entry dispays exactly in the english vesion), but there are two problems:

1. the characters themselves look aweful and are hard to read.

2. even worse, the characters are correctly displayed, but when I want to enter such a character (with my german keyboard), completely different characters are inserted into the text.

Would it be possibe to use some windows character set while editing and make the necessary conversions from and to MSDOS when loading and saving the text? This would solve both problems.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-02-20 05:00 | IP: IP Logged

When you open your file, change CodePage to correct on in the CodePage menu (or clicking on code page name in statusbar) and reload your file (Ctrl+R)

You can native work in your code page.

Menu View / OEM charset was made for another purpose - display special files with pictures made from chars

#3 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2019-02-20 12:33 | IP: IP Logged

This would be very helpful, but I don't see how to switch the code page menu.

I don't see a statusbar and I have not found a menu entry to turn it on. And I have tried all entries in the format menu without success - is it possibe to add needed code pages to the menu, or am I looking in the wrong place?

#4 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-02-20 12:35 | IP: IP Logged

Send me some of your sample file to support mail and I will prepare you some screenshots

#5 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: idefix2 | Date: 2019-02-20 12:54 | IP: IP Logged

Oh, now I see the status bar, it's a separate bar for every editing window, not for pspad as a whole.

But there also, there is no code page displayed.
The rightmost item of that status bar says: Kodierung: DOS(OEM), but a click there does nothing.

BTW: I had not noticed the features of this status bar until now. Really great program.

#6 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-02-20 14:25 | IP: IP Logged

In file you sent me is e.g. ß encoded as 225, but in OEM Code page is it char 223.
It looks like you used some "special" encoding what used chars in extended ASCII table:
www.asciitable.com

I don't know if exists encoding what contains chars encoded as are in the table.

There is no problem to write user highlighter what will do conversion from and to the standard encoding, but it's annoying.

I will try to investigate what can I do

#7 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2019-02-20 18:16 | IP: IP Logged

Jan

The character code for ß is 0xDF (223) in Windows 1252 (default ANSI in Germany) and 0xE1 (225) in CP 850 (default OEM in Germany). So if you found 225 for ß then the file is OEM-encoded.

If I'd open such a file then the characters show up incorrectly because it opens in the ANSI default. But as soon as I check the hook in menu View->Show OEM chars then everything is perfectly readable. But that still doesn't solve the OP's issue...

@idefix2

You have to change your default encoding first. In a German menu:
Einstellungen->Programm einstellen->Dateien und Verzeichnisse->Standard-Code Page für Dateiöffnung->(im Dropdownmenü) OEM default (1)
After clicking on OK, close PSPad and then open your file again. This is what works for me and with this setting you don't have any problems to write German umlauts and ß.
The drawback is that you have to reverse this setting as soon as you want to open an ANSI-encoded file winking smiley

Steffen

#8 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-02-20 18:27 | IP: IP Logged

You don't need to close PSPad. Press CTRL+R to reload file in selected encodig

#9 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2019-02-20 18:37 | IP: IP Logged

In the file I got (see in the HEX editor) is the ß char encoded as A0 (char 160).
It doesn't corespond to OEM nor ANSI encoding.

But maybe it isn't original file, but already saved and encoding was damaged already.

#10 Re: MSDOS Character Set

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2019-02-20 22:15 | IP: IP Logged

Most likely the file was already corrupted while trying...
The OEM-850 ß shows up as á if opened in ANSI-1252. Converted to OEM-850 the á has char code 0xA0.

Steffen

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR