You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

#1 F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: metrino | Date: 2017-01-13 18:36 | IP: IP Logged

Hi.
I'm searching a string in a text file. Once I set the string, the program searches forward and highlights the string, the cursor is blinking at the string right edge. If I press F3, highlight and cursor move to next instance.
Now if I press SHIFT+F3 highlight doesn't move and cursor moves from right to left edge.

Every time I change search direction, I have to press the key twice to really move to next instance.

Is it right? Is there any (hidden) setting which can change this behaviour?

tx in advance

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: AndreasW | Date: 2017-01-18 15:33 | IP: IP Logged

I've also noticed that. It's quite annoying. Shift+Ctrl+Down and Shift+Ctrl+Up are affected too.

#3 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-01-18 15:35 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, cause it's search from cursor position. If you are behind the word and search to the top, the first occurence will be this word

#4 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: AndreasW | Date: 2017-01-18 15:50 | IP: IP Logged

Other editors, e.g. Notepad++ or CudaText, behave differently (more conveniant, IMHO).

#5 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-01-18 16:00 | IP: IP Logged

In this case you have to change difference when you start search and continue search.
I think you won't be satisfied with cursor behind the word if PSpad start search and first found word would be somewhere else

#6 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: AndreasW | Date: 2017-01-18 16:13 | IP: IP Logged

Also Sublime Text behaves like Notepad++ and CudaText. So this behavior seems to be the standard. Don't you think that PSPad should follow the standard too?

#7 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: hhoefling | Date: 2017-01-18 16:18 | IP: IP Logged

Notepad++

A Search has selected the Hit (if found).
The cursor stands allways at the end of the selection.

For a backward search,

NPP goes firstly to the begin of the selection,
and then do the backwards search.

With no Selection it search from Cursor. (a single char Selection)

I see no problem with this mode.

--
by HH

#8 Re: F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search Forward/backward

Posted by: metrino | Date: 2017-01-23 16:44 | IP: IP Logged

I don't want to merge other editors, I just want to give my opinion to get PSPad even better winking smiley
Now, imho, I know technically it's right, searching goes starting from cursor ...but if I press F3 and SHIFT-F3 again and again, it's natural thinking about I'm jumping between two different string instances , not just on the same.

However it's not a problem, I'll survive the same grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR