You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Strange characters have wrecked my file

Strange characters have wrecked my file

#1 Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: tonymo | Date: 2014-08-25 14:06 | IP: IP Logged

How to reverse disaterous changes made to my text file.

PSPad has changed a file from this original :

I ponder a lot-that’s what I do. If I was paid to ponder I suppose by now I could have amassed quite a sum. But when I search for the position of “professional ponderer” I’m quickly reminded that the world is not ready- or perhaps simply has no need for a ponderer such as myself. However, there are potentially lucrative positions of similar title such as “Professional Pond Sweeper” and “Pond Liner Installer” -and so for the lure of the paycheck I’m occasionally beckoned by such opportunities.

to:

I ponder a lot- that#000000#000000blackf,f,f’s what I do. If I was paid to ponder I suppose by now I could have amassed quite a sum. But when I search for the position of “professional ponderer” I’m quickly reminded that the world is not ready- or perhaps simply has no need for a ponderer such as myself. However, there are potentially lucrative positions of similar title such as “Professional Pond Sweeper” and “Pond Liner Installer” - and so for the lure of the paycheck I’m occasionally beckoned by such opportunities.

PLEASE How do I convert back to the original

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-08-25 14:49 | IP: IP Logged

As I look at your file, you did several things.
You inserted CSS color codes: #000000#000000blackf,f,f
This can't be made by PSPad - it's necessary to open color selector or color translator window and click in the window.

The second problem - your ’ character was replaced by ’. It can be caused e.g. by switching code page of your file to UTF-8. Open your file, select UTF-8 code page in menu Format and pres Ctrl+R, you should have your aphostrofe back.

#3 Re: Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: tonymo | Date: 2014-08-29 20:38 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for reply but that did nothing.

I did not add anything to the file. !! To investigate the use of pspad as a project manager, I used pspad to open the file. I looked at the file and the strange coding and closed the file. Pspad saved the changes, the formatting.

UTF8 is set. Ctrl R does not do anything.

May I send you the file to clean up? It should just be plain text.

Tony

#4 Re: Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-08-30 06:24 | IP: IP Logged

OK. You are saying you open file only. After you open your file, you saw strange characters and you saved your file? yawning smiley
I believe there can be strange characters caused by code page encoding, but can(t be there characters caused by inserting HTML color in different formats. This can't be made by file opening.

Send me your file, I will try to clean it.

#5 Re: Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: tonymo | Date: 2014-08-31 12:38 | IP: IP Logged

Hallo Jan,
I have sent email with file attached to support@pspad etc.

OK,
Tony

#6 Re: Strange characters have wrecked my file

Posted by: tonymo | Date: 2014-09-01 14:57 | IP: IP Logged

Jan,
Thank you very much for cleaning my file and for all your steady, patient help and support. It is a pity that I cannot reproduce the fault.
OK,
Tony

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR