You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Highlighting "current" tab; again

Highlighting "current" tab; again

#1 Highlighting "current" tab; again

Posted by: Solidornot | Date: 2014-02-01 18:18 | IP: IP Logged

As far as I can tell, it remains difficult to tell which tab is "current" if you have several tabs open that have the same highlighter tab color setting. When a current tab has no associated highlighter color setting, it is highlighted as the current tab and that is clear. But this color highlighting for the current tab either is not applied or not noticeable when the tab has a highlighter color. The current tab is always increased slightly in height, but honestly that is too subtle for me to see easily. As I often have several related files with a highlighter tab color open (e.g. HTML or CSS files), this is a constant source of confusion. I have searched through all the settings and the discussions online and if there is a setting to add some other identifier for the current tab, I have not been able to find it.

Suggestion: Perhaps simply turn the filename text to bold for the current tab? I think that would probably be sufficient. Any other visual identifier (such as giving the current tab a dark border) would also be good. I don't think it matters how, only that it be obvious.

Regards ... Solidornot

P.S. I have used PSPad for a few years now and it is a fabulous program, a great contribution. I am, as are so many others, extremely grateful.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Highlighting "current" tab; again

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-02-01 19:20 | IP: IP Logged

Turning activa tab text to bold will cause change of the tab width and continuous reorganizing of tab if you will switch it.

#3 Re: Highlighting "current" tab; again

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2014-02-01 22:33 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,
I also agree the active tab could have some stronger visual highlighting.
Would it be possible e.g. to draw a few-pixel line (in a contrastful colour) above the active tab? (The active tab appears to have a bit greater height already.)
E.g. FreeCommander does this, cf. the (rather complex) screenshot
www.freecommander.com
(first screenshot, - "Tab area with tabs")
This file manager also seems to be written in Delphi, if it is somehow relevant for the this functionality.)
Another possibility would be to reserve the tab width for the bold text in advance, but this could vaste the available space to some extent.

But again, I believe, this is a marginal problem.

Thanks and regards
vbr

#4 Re: Highlighting "current" tab; again

Posted by: Solidornot | Date: 2014-02-05 19:53 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Turning active tab text to bold will cause change of the tab width and continuous reorganizing of tab if you will switch it.

Right, of course that does make bold font a trickier strategy for highlighting the active tab. Perhaps color is the best approach. In those cases where tabs are colored according to the highlighter tab color, perhaps tab border color could change or the top half of the tab could be colored differently, or the tab text could be colored differently (obviously avoiding the tab color). Again, I don't it matters which technique is used, but it would be helpful to make the active/current tab stand out even when it is colored to match the associated highlighter.

Thanks ... Solidornot

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR