You are here: PSPad forum > Developer forum - new builds > PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

#21 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-04-05 14:37 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
pspad name in the forum belongs to PSPad author only. I am sorry, but I am only one developer, support, e. t. c. If you really want to help me and speed up development and bug investigation, provide step by step to reproduce bug. I'm sorry if my answers are delayed or not exact. I am not native English speaker. And PSPad isn't the thing what can feed me and my family

Sure...
1)
Run PSPad editor on a compatible OS (in my case: any official or beta build up to 4.6.1 (2714) including; MS Windows XP Pro or MS Windows 7 HP).
2)
Select "Settings"\"Program Settings..." menu option in the editor, a new window will pop up.
3)
Select "Key Map" tab in the "Program Settings..." window and then select "Format" menu group, and then double click on "Add/Remove Comment" menu option in the same window, a new window will pop up.
4)
Press "Ctrl+/" (without quotes) 2-key shortcut combination in the "New Shortcut:" field of the "Add/Remove Comment" window and then accept the changes by pressing "OK" button in the same window.
5)
Press "Apply" button in the "Program Settings..." window and then press "OK" button in the same window.
6)
Open any new file supporting line comments, e.g. PHP, JS (JavaScript), SQL (MySQL).
7)
Write anything in an empty line (in a PHP block - assuming you've selected the PHP file format in the previous step) and press "Ctrl+/" (without quotes) 2-key shortcut combination to call the "Format"\"Add/Remove Comment" menu option (in my case: it works).
8)
Close the PSPad editor instance (all instances if applicable in your case) and then rerun the editor again.
9)
Repeat the steps from points 6) to 7) both inclusive (in my case: it doesn't work after restarting the editor in the previous step).
10)
Answer to my questions, please:

Wirek:
(...)
You haven't still answered to my questions and I'm still waiting.

Wirek:
I didn't get any answer from you to my questions:

Wirek:
Have you even tried to reproduce the problem with this particular shortcut key combination (Ctrl+/) and did it work for you?
(...)
Does it work for you? Am I the only one with this shortcut key combination problem out there?
(...)
Try it for yourself, please.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2016-04-10 13:07 | IP: IP Logged

Wirek:
Have you at least tried this particular shortcut (Ctrl+/) assignment to the "Format"\"Add/Remove Comment" menu option and to use it after restarting the editor? Did it work for you?

No! This isn't my problem, it's yours, so I don't give two hoots if it's fixed or not. Frankly there are 5 or 6 things I would rather he spent his time on smiling smiley

If you're happy that Jan will get around to it when he has the time (likely to be a long time) then you should continue to insist that someone else do the legwork for you; if you want to help him then you need to take responsibility to do what investigation you can.

Run a clean install on a Windows environment with nothing else installed, and post the results, and stop posting to the forum as if you're paying for Jan's time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-10 13:07 by gwinkless.

#23 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: human | Date: 2016-04-10 13:16 | IP: IP Logged

Come on, don't be so hard on him - it looks like he already did what is necessary to provide more information.

What would be really nice would be if we could actually help Jan with more than that. Is there a post somewhere concerning the issue "please release PSPad as GPLed software"? That way we could do quite more: investigating issues on our own (or even pay others to do so if we want something fixed/added) and provide suggestions instead of "complains".

human - free software hacker

#24 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-04-11 13:00 | IP: IP Logged

human:
(...)
What would be really nice would be if we could actually help Jan with more than that. Is there a post somewhere concerning the issue "please release PSPad as GPLed software"? That way we could do quite more: investigating issues on our own (or even pay others to do so if we want something fixed/added) and provide suggestions instead of "complains".
(...)

I don't want to put myself in a role of Jan's secretary (or rather answering machine) as "gwinkless" did already but... "pspad" was clear enough to me that he is on his own in every aspect of the project - not only in programming but also in replying to various questions in many posts, bug reports, testing, debugging and even the design of the future version of the editor (based upon TBCEditor engine).
Although "pspad" is complaining about lack of time yet he's not willing to share the sources in any form of collaboration, I guess. There are many offers of help (in various forms) in many threads in this forum (not from me personally but many others) and it seams to me that "pspad" just wants to keep full control over what is happening where in the code and why as a part of his self-esteem. I can understand that kind of approach and I totally respect that too. He did a lot of great work already.

I am not demanding or expecting "pspad" to fix the bug (Ctrl+/) right here and right now. I'm aware there are more important problems to solve. All I wanted was to get the confirmation he can reproduce it and confirm that the problem actually exists in his environment and just to know he added it to his list of things to do in one of the future versions, that's all.

Following the 10 step procedure (above) takes only 3 to 5 minutes of time at most and "gwinkless" has never done it just as I thought (or actually he has performed the test finally after my post and confirmed it but didn't want to admit it publicly and that's why he's so angry at me). smoking smiley I bet he has never read the entire conversation between me and "pspad" either (why bother, right?) and that's why he's making an idiot of himself and wasting everybody's time here. But this is just my opinion and not mental diagnosis for "gwinkless" - we all have our own problems after all.

I don't know if "pspad" has ever tried to reproduce the problem (Ctrl+/) and with what results (I'm still awaiting the answer) but "gwinkless" knows everything best (without testing or reading). The test takes only 3 to 5 minutes at most yet this conversation here (with my part) lasts for over 1 month already. I just don't know what's the point of it, really. I hope it was my last bug report for PSPad editor ever. I would rather drop this and use another editor than go through this ever again.

#25 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: human | Date: 2016-04-11 17:25 | IP: IP Logged

Wirek:
"pspad" was clear enough to me that he is on his own in every aspect of the project - not only in programming but also in replying to various questions in many posts, bug reports, testing, debugging and even the design of the future version of the editor (based upon TBCEditor engine).
Although "pspad" is complaining about lack of time yet he's not willing to share the sources in any form of collaboration, I guess. There are many offers of help (in various forms) in many threads in this forum (not from me personally but many others) and it seams to me that "pspad" just wants to keep full control over what is happening where in the code and why as a part of his self-esteem. I can understand that kind of approach and I totally respect that too.

There are multiple reasons for this - only Jan/pspad could tell us exactly why. Among the most common reasons you find:

* is already licensed proprietary (either complete or in parts) - this often can be changed (even M$ did this for some of their software)
* needs external proprietary libraries to build (this can be difficult, depending on how much it is; but it's often still useful to release owned parts under GPL and step by step separating the code that needs external libraries if not already done - with the option to exchange them "some day")
* thinking of ones source as "bad ones and/or not good documented" - this can be overcome and others can help
* fear that one will have even less time to code as more questions will be asked - while this is true for the first weeks/months others will come in and answer the questions, both in the source aspect and the bug/feature request/support aspect
* want to be in control what parts are in - this should never be a show stopper as Jan/pspad will ever be in control what is integrated in the "official" source tree / releases - he doesn't have to give anyone the option to change "his" code (only a copy of it) and he even doesn't have to integrate anything people suggest him to change

Wirek:
He did a lot of great work already.

Yes, he did indeed!

#26 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: hhoefling | Date: 2016-04-12 08:27 | IP: IP Logged

Wirek:
I don't know if "pspad" has ever tried to reproduce the problem (Ctrl+/) and with what results (I'm still awaiting the answer)

After Reading all the Stuff....

I have it tryed.

But it does'nt work.
On my Keyoard the "/" Symbol is on the keyboard on Key "7" with Shift (Germany Layout)

So the Dialog in Step 4 shows "Ctrl+7" not /

So writing Ctrl+/ in any config file will probably not help.

--
by HH

#27 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-04-12 09:05 | IP: IP Logged

Sorry guys that I disin't reply. I was able to simulate Ctrl+/ problem, it means I hope I will be able to fix it

#28 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-04-12 10:03 | IP: IP Logged

hhoefling:
After Reading all the Stuff....

I have it tryed.

But it does'nt work.
On my Keyoard the "/" Symbol is on the keyboard on Key "7" with Shift (Germany Layout)

So the Dialog in Step 4 shows "Ctrl+7" not /

So writing Ctrl+/ in any config file will probably not help.

Thank you kindly for your time and efforts.
I guess the right key combination in your case would be "Ctrl+Shift+/" ("qwertz" layout). I don't have such an issue since I'm using a standard international keyboard that is US/GB in fact ("qwerty" layout) with the slash "/" (together with question mark "?" when shifted) key under my right hand just to the left from the right "Shift" key (near cursor keys). One could conclude that from my previous replies to "pspad" questions, including the image with screen shots as well as the 10 step procedure above. Thank you very much for your info anyway.

pspad:
Sorry guys that I disin't reply. I was able to simulate Ctrl+/ problem, it means I hope I will be able to fix it

Thank you so much for that info! I'm very glad to hear/read that finally.
I guess it (the forward slash character "/": $002F, 0x2F in ASCII) in any shortcut key combination may be processed internally as some kind of special character (like '\' when present in double-quoted strings with a special meaning e.g. "\t" for a tabulator, "\n" for a new line / line feed or "\\" for actual backslash character in many programming languages) and maybe some sort of inheritance of a buggy class (IDE component) or overloading of a buggy method is necessary to overcome this problem. I hope you will succeed. Good luck with your project(s)!

#29 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: hhoefling | Date: 2016-04-12 11:47 | IP: IP Logged

Wirek:
I guess the right key combination in your case would be "Ctrl+Shift+/" ("qwertz" layout).

No, this would represented by "Ctrl+Shift+7".
The Symbol "/" will NEVER by produced by the keyboard-Definiton-Dialog in German language.
It use allways the "Main-Symbol" for the multi layered Keys.

for example:

The Symbols "(" and "[" are together with the "8" on one physical Key.
the are represented by
"Alt+8" for normal use.
"Strg+8" for use with Control
"Strg+UMSCHALT+8" for use with Control+Shift.
You see the Symbol "(" and "[" are never used.
Therefore the Keybinding depended on keyboard-layout

I think the Problem occoures in any language setting except english.

--
by HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-12 11:47 by hhoefling.

#30 Re: PSPad unicode 4.6.1 (2714) English

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-04-12 15:30 | IP: IP Logged

hhoefling:
Wirek:
I guess the right key combination in your case would be "Ctrl+Shift+/" ("qwertz" layout).

No, this would represented by "Ctrl+Shift+7".
The Symbol "/" will NEVER by produced by the keyboard-Definiton-Dialog in German language.
It use allways the "Main-Symbol" for the multi layered Keys.
(...)

You're right, of course. My bad, sorry. Exactly the same way getting a "Ctrl+?" 2-key shortcut combination is impossible on an international ("qwerty") keyboard because it is a "Ctrl+Shift+/" 3-key shortcut combination in fact. It's kind of obvious when one looks at a keyboard with a particular physical layout of keys. Logical keyboard layout(s) is another issue for a different story. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR