You are here: PSPad forum > Developer forum - new builds > PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next

#21 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: Programmer | Date: 2009-05-19 17:45 | IP: IP Logged

zwayne:
OK, so it was updated in September 2008. That still doesn't address the word-wrap bug that constantly CRASHES PsPad. Do you have a unicode synedit bug report that discusses word wrap crashes? I certainly couldn't find one. Nor is there any mention of this in the forum.

What bug is this? I don't normally use word wrap but I have turned it on and off for certain things and I've yet to crash PsPad. How do we reproduce it?
What does PsPad have to do with synedit?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: Java Code Explorer issue

Posted by: wilderness2 | Date: 2009-05-21 09:56 | IP: IP Logged

Quote:
Hi,

For Java code explorer, I am seeing local int variables created inside methods in the Code Explorer tree, at the top level. Works fine for other data types.

public class testing {
public static void main(String[] args) {

int i = 0;
//shown outside main in code explorer tree

System.out.println("Hello world");
}
}

I am using the 2351 version cleanly installed (unzipping 4.5.3 cab and then 2351 cab)

I am not sure if this was the previous behaviour. I am seeing this now.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour ??

I did a clean install again and tried with other types like long and float. Again the same result - int is shown outside the method in Code Explorer, long and float are not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 09:57 by wilderness2.

#23 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: zwayne | Date: 2009-05-27 04:31 | IP: IP Logged

(In reply to #21): PsPad has long had a problem crashing with long line lengths and word wrap on. Search the forum. If you don't use word wrap much you may not have had the problem.

I have not yet found an alternative editor that I like better (believe me, I've looked!), so I make sure to constantly save save save. Because eventually PsPad WILL crash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 04:31 by zwayne.

#24 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: wimb | Date: 2009-06-02 07:54 | IP: IP Logged

This code breaks the php highlighter:

<?php

$var = '<?>';

?>

The php highlighter sees the ?> in the string and thinks it is the end of the php script.

Wim

#25 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2009-06-02 08:39 | IP: IP Logged

wimb:
This code breaks the php highlighter:

<?php

$var = '<?>';

?>

The php highlighter sees the ?> in the string and thinks it is the end of the php script.

Wim

In which way the highlighting gets broken? It seems, that using PHP highlighter it would be ok;
however, the multihighlighter cannot deal with this due to its way of parsing the file.

vbr

#26 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: mgutt | Date: 2009-06-21 23:23 | IP: IP Logged

What I have found:
- if a line ends with a whitespace the jump to the last char with the button "end" ends before this whitespace and not after it as expected
- backup: if you select a automatically backup interval it overwrites the existing original file (!) and creates a copy in the backup folder. That isn't good as I'm not able to close the original file without saving my changes (maybe I was testing or I write in the wrong file, etc.). with this fact I've lost many original files.
- the ftp clients losts after x seconds the connection. that is ok, but if I go to an upper folder it jumps back to root. so pspad needs to keep in mind the last folder, although it losts connection.
- if i'm using the tab "ftp" and after that i want to add a new project with the menu, the tab doesn't change to project as expected.

Nice to have:
- able to open really big files (like 500+ MB logfiles) without bit performance issues (files greater than 20 mb are read partial in memory, so only the viewable part is loaded and a scrolling needs to access the file again)
- in windows I'm able to rename a file, if it is selected and I click again on it. Would be nice if pspad does the same
- remove google search
- if search is empty, it should be opened by F3
- combine "search", "replace" and "search & replace in files". work with hidden parts to extend all rarely used settings, only search, replace and a folder line is needed. replace and folder line are optional fields.
- replace search with multiple line search (option "ignore whitespace chars" should be added than, too).
- does someone use bookmarks (in german "lesezeichen", don't know the english word), if not: remove this function. code explorer should be better than that.
- maybe it makes sense to analyze which functions are used by pspad users and which not. you could create statistics about selected windows/functions/settings of the program and sometimes the software checks your server for a newer version and parallel it sends this statistic data to your server, so you are able to decide which functions aren't useful or aren't accepted by the mass of users

I would pay for this features (i donate 200,- EUR if they will be realized):
- it is not possible to down- / upload images, zips and other files with the ftp client. Please add this feature.
- please add a quick typein of html codes like it is done in dreamweaver. f.e. if I type in an "&n" a dropdown shows me the possible options f.e. "&nbsp; (Whitespace)". With mouse click or arrow buttons I'm able to select one of the options.
- The same could be done with php functions. at the moment SHIFT+WHITESPACEBAR shows me the function. but at this moment I've written the complete function name, so it doesn't really help. It would be better to help the user after he typed only one char (not if it begins with a dollar sign (variable) or it is written in big signs (constant). f.e. if I type in "n" the possible functions started with "n" are displayed in a dropdown. Every next char filters the drop down until no function or the last one is left. The drop down shows the possible options in this function. But if I select the function, only the function is written down, so i don't need to use the arrows to fill out the parms. f.e. if i write "pri" it shows the options "print ( string $arg )" and "printf ( string $format [, mixed $args [, mixed $... ]] )". if I select "printf" the word is completed to "printf(" and I can start to add parms as I need them.
- backup: please allow a windows variable, so it is possible to backup by date. f.e. backup/example.com/2009-06-22/index.php or add a similar function

p.s. nice to have in this forum:
- format a selected text and don't add the tags after the selection. ;)
- add accesskey "s" to the submit form :D

--
www.programmierer-forum.de

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 00:23 by mgutt.

#27 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: kiendlm | Date: 2009-06-22 20:59 | IP: IP Logged

Hi mgutt,

quite a long text you've posted here. I will try to answer at least a few questions you have.

mgutt:
What I have found:
- if a line ends with a whitespace the jump to the last char with the button "end" ends before this whitespace and not after it as expected

If you press the "end" button again, the cursor will jump behind the last whitespace. What you complain as an issue is in fact a useful feature which you will also find in Microsoft Visual Studio and other commercial and widely used software development tools.

mgutt:
Nice to have:
- able to open really big files (like 500+ MB logfiles) without bit performance issues (files greater than 20 mb are read partial in memory, so only the viewable part is loaded and a scrolling needs to access the file again)

You are not the first to ask for this change. This is due to a limitation of the editor control PSPad is using. If you frequently have to edit such big files you should perhaps consider using UltraEdit. It handles big files just the way you are recommending here. Also, it supports code folding, another feature wich has been requested frequently and which PSPad doesn't support due to limitations of the editor control. UltraEdit's clear disadvantage is the annoying licensing strategy (you have to pay for any update which isn't just a bugfix, and it's rather expensive).

mgutt:
- remove google search

You don't use it, so it should be removed? Don't you think there is more than one (your) way and different needs to using PSPad and its features? sad smiley

mgutt:
- does someone use bookmarks (in german "lesezeichen", don't know the english word), if not: remove this function. code explorer should be better than that.

Same as I wrote to the google search item. Additionally I would like to point out that the code explorer and bookmarks (this is the correct english translation, and by the way, looking up the englisch terms of a menu item in PSPad is really simple: just switch the language to english in the settings dialog) do not work the same way. With the code explorer, you can navigate to different function headers or declarations in the code of the file currently in the foreground, while with a bookmark you can jump to a particular line within the code of any file currently loaded. Bookmarks are extremely useful when you have to edit and frequently jump between several distinct positions within one or more files, and again this is a feature you will find in any commercial development tool and wich I would not like to miss.

mgutt:
- maybe it makes sense to analyze which functions are used by pspad users and which not. you could create statistics about selected windows/functions/settings of the program and sometimes the software checks your server for a newer version and parallel it sends this statistic data to your server, so you are able to decide which functions aren't useful or aren't accepted by the mass of users

I'm not quite sure whether you are aware that PSPad is mainly intended as an editor for developers. Most of the features you are complaining about or you want to be removed are frequently used standard for software developers. Anyway I think it's better to have 10 features you don't use than to miss 2 you really need. Also, most people (including my person) don't like software "phoning home" for whatever reason, and many are not even online every time when they use PSPad. Therefore I don't consider your function statistics a good idea.

mgutt:
I would pay for this features (i donate 200,- EUR if they will be realized):
- it is not possible to down- / upload images, zips and other files with the ftp client. Please add this feature.

Why don't you use a dedicated ftp client to do this? PSPad is an editor which for convenience offers openng files via ftp, no more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 21:03 by kiendlm.

#28 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: mgutt | Date: 2009-06-22 23:40 | IP: IP Logged

Jump to the end:
Useful? Whats useful about that? :P

FTP-Client:
It doesn't make sense to install a ftp for images only as the rest is done with pspad. First target as developer is to work fast.

Google:
I don't believe anyone is using this, as most of the people have google already as their favorite home page if they start their browser. And if online search: why google and not yahoo, bing, etc.?

UltraEdit:
Same thing as with the FTP-Client. Why use a second editor if one is able to offer both features? UltraEdit is ultra slow (first load) and has ultra confusing layout. No need for such a software on my site.

"phoning home" statistics:
As I said there is no need to send this data every day. Only if a update process is done, it could be send (as long the statistics are saved in local logfiles). It would be possible to ask the user if he accepts such "phone calls" or not. There is no other solution the find out how much people are using "google search" or not ;)

long text:
I've spend a long time to find out what bothered me in using pspad. Only one position.. no need to feel defensive ;)

#29 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: human | Date: 2009-06-23 07:04 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for posting your long list, it is always good to have something for having productive discussions.

I have the same point about "dont't remove existing features used by some persons and about the phone-home-problems".

Maybe the developer is willing to enhance the ftp-client for this big donation (because everybody has advantages of this), if yes, I think he will contact you (but It can not be bad if you send him a "Private Message" via this board about this). I rather would use PSPad as the only FTP-Client if this would work fine, too.

About the "I dont't use this or that feature":
Maybe some of theses could be hided via a new ini-file? Possible personalization is always a good thing.

#30 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.4 (2351) English

Posted by: kiendlm | Date: 2009-06-23 07:30 | IP: IP Logged

mgutt:
Jump to the end:
Useful? Whats useful about that? :P

Useful e.g. for quickly selecting and removing trailing spaces in a line.

mgutt:
Google:
I don't believe anyone is using this, as most of the people have google already as their favorite home page if they start their browser. And if online search: why google and not yahoo, bing, etc.?

OK, I don't say there is no reason to talk of removing that function. What bothered me was that you simply asked for removing it, without even trying to give a reason.

mgutt:
UltraEdit:
Same thing as with the FTP-Client. Why use a second editor if one is able to offer both features? UltraEdit is ultra slow (first load) and has ultra confusing layout. No need for such a software on my site.

I haven't been using UltraEdit for a longer time (more precisely, since I have discovered PSPad smiling smiley ), but I remember the handling of big file was better than it is in PSPad, and it offered similar features. What I meant was: It is not likely that PSPad will be changed to better handle big files in the forseeable future, so if you frequently have to edit such big files you should consider using another editor. UltraEdit was just a suggestion, apparently not a very good one winking smiley.

mgutt:
"phoning home" statistics:
As I said there is no need to send this data every day. Only if a update process is done, it could be send (as long the statistics are saved in local logfiles). It would be possible to ask the user if he accepts such "phone calls" or not. There is no other solution the find out how much people are using "google search" or not ;)

As long as the update process simply consists of unpacking a CAB archive into the PSPad program folder this won't work. I would consider a survey on this web page a better solution for this. Some sort of page where you can click on checkboxes for each function you are using frequently or you consider to be important. This way it's up to the user when and how often to give informations about his habits.

mgutt:
long text:
I've spend a long time to find out what bothered me in using pspad. Only one position.. no need to feel defensive ;)

My comment should not be an offense. I apologize if you got it this way. Some of your suggestions and whishes simply appear a bit arrogant, that's why I answered at all.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR