You are here: PSPad forum > Developer forum - new builds > PSPad unicode 4.5.3 (2262) English

PSPad unicode 4.5.3 (2262) English

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

#71 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.3 (2262) English

Posted by: owilsky | Date: 2007-05-14 09:52 | IP: IP Logged

Well, you have my vote in replacing SynEdit as long it does not break major existing functionality...

--
Oliver Kötter

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#72 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.3 (2262) English

Posted by: Jume | Date: 2007-05-14 10:00 | IP: IP Logged

if plusmemo allows to keep the current functionality (or at least a good percentage or it), i say go on

and hey, maybe is the best time to do it:

1.- current bugs are (sorry for the people that are pestered by them) low priority or not so important, not enough to lose your work or make it noticeable slower
2.- there are feature requests from some time ago, maybe with the editor component transformation some will be there (being code folding the "biggest" one)
3.- you can have at last a good reason to upgrade the version to "pspad 5" tongue sticking out smiley
4.- time ago you told us your desire to rewrite the ui to something more modern, you have the perfect excuse now
5.- being relatively mature the actual version, many of us are probably willing to wait a pretty decent amount of time, so you are not in a real hurry to change the base editor
6.- you have freedom to revamp many other things within the program, and even ask the users/developers/translators what would they want to see in the future that could make their life easier, and test the viability of those ideas (at the cost of rewriting more code)

of course, first things first, make a preliminary short study about how much things you need to rewrite just to change to plusmemo, and then wathever you choose to do, choose it with at least 150% of that amount in mind (well, things always can go complicated, dont they?)

finally, dont know about others but, i would be pleasured in test that sample demo smiling smiley

#73 Re: PSPad unicode 4.5.3 (2262) English

Posted by: MrSpock | Date: 2007-05-14 11:09 | IP: IP Logged

Jume:
if plusmemo allows to keep the current functionality (or at least a good percentage or it), i say go on

Totally agree with Jume.
- From my point of view, it is no problem to wait several months for a new PSPad version. I consider all open bugs that I know of "low priority". Users have enough stable (I mean [almost] crash-free) PSPad versions to choose from, and for most problems there are known workarounds.
- Looks like SynEdit has been half-dead for a while now. Sooner or later you will have to choose a new base component.
- At least for me, it's no problem to keep build 2262 or 2265 installed for the "real" work, and at the same time run an early beta version with a new base component with possibly serious bugs. That's what beta testers are for.

But of course it is your decision, Jan, and a serious one. I think it's important that you take your time. No need to hurry, as far as I'm concerned.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR