You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

#1 Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-03-23 11:49 | IP: IP Logged

Hi Jan,

I observed this for a long time. Don't know on which version it starts.

An unsaved file has this red icon. When I close this file unsaved with middle click on tab I normaly get this confirmation message "would you like to save...".

But very often file gets closed without this message and so without saving. I can repair this wrong behaviour by restarting PSPad.

I don't know what is responsible for that. My PSPad stays open for a long time, as I seldom shut down my windows. Maybe it depends on sending my Windows to sleep mode.

Regards Andreas

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-03-30 17:32 | IP: IP Logged

Today it happened again. After a wake up of Windows 10. Seems not to occur on every wake up.

#3 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-07-07 13:54 | IP: IP Logged

Maybe I find it.

Create some files and fill in some text. Try to close all files with "close all". When the confirmation appears say "no to all".

Now again create some files and fill in some text. Again try to close all files with "close all". Now there is no confirmation.

I don't use "close all", I use "close to right" but it's the same.

#4 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-07-13 09:19 | IP: IP Logged

I've followed your steps from the most recent post and selected the "File"\"Close all" menu option... twice as you described, Andreas, and it worked just fine - a "Confirmation" dialogue popped up (twice) with a message "Are you sure you want to close all open files?" and (only) two buttons "Yes" and "No" (there was no "No to All" button). I clicked "No" (twice) and it worked as expected.

Then I've tried to repeat your procedure but with trying to close the editor application (by the red button "X" in the top right corner or by "File"\"Exit" menu option - works the same). A different "Confirmation" dialogue popped up with a message "Save Changes Made to File? New3.txt" and five buttons: "Yes", "No", "Cancel", "No to All", "YesToAll" (with missing spaces between words)... each time. When you press the "Cancel" button the editor doesn't close so it works as expected. When you choose the "No to All" the editor doesn't save any of the newly created files and exits as expected. When you choose "YesToAll" or "Yes" button (for at least one of the modified files) then a "Save as" dialogue pops up as expected.

The middle mouse button click on the tab of modified file also works fine in my case. I'm using PSPad v. 4.6.1 (2730) on MS Windows XP Pro right now.

I guess you are lacking of understanding of how these buttons work or there actually is some sort of a problem in your case but I would suggest you to provide more detail for pspad to reproduce it.

However I am aware that there are reports on misbehaviour of PSPad editor when it is left open for very long time and the OS is put to "Hibernate" or "Stand by" mode (e.g. forum.pspad.com). Maybe a future build without a memory manager would help you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-13 09:27 by Wirek.

#5 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-07-13 11:21 | IP: IP Logged

Wirek:
I guess you are lacking of understanding of how these buttons work or there actually is some sort of a problem in your case but I would suggest you to provide more detail for pspad to reproduce it.

I think I understand how these buttons should work.

There always has to be a confirmation popup if you close unsaved files which you then have to confirm for a single file or for all files.

Here is another simple test:
create file and input some text (3 times)
right click on first tab - 'Close to right'
confirmation popup appears - Save Changes Made to File? - new3.txt - click 'No to All'
2 files are closed now without saving, thats ok
create one new file and input some text
close this file by middle click
no popup with confirmation dialogue appears, file closes without saving

Version 4.6.1 2707
portable with all rights on folder
Windows 10
use PsPad for years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-13 11:22 by Andreas.

#6 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-07-15 08:44 | IP: IP Logged

Andreas:
I think I understand how these buttons should work.

There always has to be a confirmation popup if you close unsaved files which you then have to confirm for a single file or for all files.

I agree but I have received a confirmation dialogue each and every time during my previous tests according to your steps description. So it worked as expected.

Andreas:
Here is another simple test:
create file and input some text (3 times)
right click on first tab - 'Close to right'

In my case these files are (counting from left to right): "New1.htm", "New2.php", "New3.txt".
Each file with some text input into them so the red triangle markings appeared on their tabs reflecting their state as "modified" (just as in my previous tests without any confirmation to the problem).
The first tab in my case is for file "New1.htm".

Andreas:
confirmation popup appears - Save Changes Made to File? - new3.txt - click 'No to All'
2 files are closed now without saving, thats ok

These 2 files that are closed in my case are: "New2.php", "New3.txt".
The tab with file "New1.htm" is left open - all as expected so far.

Andreas:
create one new file and input some text
close this file by middle click
no popup with confirmation dialogue appears, file closes without saving

Another new tab/file created in my case is "New4.txt" - it is also marked with the red triangle as "modified" (with some text input into it).

At this point I hereby confirm the problem with closing the modified files without any confirmation dialogue pop-up - either it is the last tab/file created ("New4.txt" in my case) or the first one ("New1.htm") or any other since this moment (e.g. "New7.css") until closing the PSPad editor and restarting it again. And at this point it really doesn't matter if a modified tab/file is closed with middle mouse button click or with the grey "X" button (under the red "X" button in the top right corner of the editor), or with "File"\"Close" menu option, or with "File"\"Exit" menu option, or any other method of closing a single tab/file, multiple tabs/files or the PSPad editor itself. All these methods fail at popping up any confirmation dialogue.

I'm using PSPad v. 4.6.1 (2730) on MS Windows XP Pro right now.

#7 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Wirek | Date: 2016-07-15 09:02 | IP: IP Logged

Interestingly, trying to close multiple tabs/files with the "File"\"Close all" menu option DOES trigger the confirmation dialogue with the message "Are you sure you want to close all open files?" and two buttons "Yes" and "No" - so it still works as expected in some cases although other methods fail at the same time (point of the test procedure) as described above! yawning smiley

That's why I couldn't confirm the issue in my first post in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-15 09:05 by Wirek.

#8 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2016-07-15 12:29 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, there are also other situations where this bug occurs. I just want to show a simple clear instruction of how to reproduce it.

My new files were New1.txt, New2.txt, New3.txt ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-15 12:30 by Andreas.

#9 Re: Confirmation on close unsaved file gets lost

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2017-05-05 08:22 | IP: IP Logged

Hello Jan,

this has not been fixed yet. Can you please have a look at this. It's important that I've been asked if I want to close an unsaved file even if I confirmed "no to all" in a former closing of multiple files.

Regards Andreas

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR