You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > Re: Unable to launch another instance from command line

Re: Unable to launch another instance from command line

#1 Unable to launch another instance from command line

Posted by: mak | Date: 01/28/2010 12:56 | IP: IP Logged

I've not found a way to force a new instance from the command line, i can set it in the options but that's not completely good. Usually i want to bring on my workflow with just one instance, but using Mercurial i want to use pspad to set commit messages, and to do that i need to start a new instance of it (otherwise the hook checking for the editor process end won't work).

So, would be really appreciated the possibility to call pspad.exe -newinstance or something like that to force creating a new instance from the command line.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Unable to launch another instance from command line

Posted by: pspad | Date: 01/28/2010 13:18 | IP: IP Logged

There is possibility in Program settings / System only now

#3 Re: Unable to launch another instance from command line

Posted by: mak | Date: 01/28/2010 14:35 | IP: IP Logged

No sure i get your answer, i want the editor to always use just one instance (Thus i want the Option being checked). But in some case i want instead it to always create a new instance, for those i need a command line option since Mercurial launches the editor through command line.

So if i enable the option, i can only have 1 instance and i can't use it with Mercurial, if i disable the option i can use it with mercurial but i end up with multiple instances for usual work.

#4 Re: Unable to launch another instance from command line

Posted by: mak | Date: 03/24/2010 14:17 | IP: IP Logged

So, after playing a bit with it, the options solution is pretty bad.

If i set it to allow multiple instances, when i select a bunch of files and i choode PSPad, each one is opened in a new window, i clearly don't want that. Also in other situations when i open a file it is opened in a new instance, and still i don't want that.

If i set it to allow a single instance, it becomes completely unusable with Mercurial (And i suppose other version controlling softwares).

Adding the cl option should not be crazy hard, if started with the command line (like -newInst) option is should ignore the Settings option and open a new instance.

This is the only real option i lack from Notepad++, apart that PSPad is largely better in many tasks. And that's a pity.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2014 Jan Fiala
Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák