You are here: PSPad forum > Bug report / Hlášení chyb > Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

#1 Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

Posted by: jberthiaume | Date: 02/04/2009 17:09 | IP: IP Logged

Hi,

Few months ago, I posted few things about my problem of indentation that doesn't trim itself automatically. I now understand more what happens and what might be the culprit.

When I use the auto-indent setting in combination with the "trim trailing spaces" setting the indentation doesn't trim itself when there is nothing else at it's right.

So what I did is verify what was the character used for indent. At my big suprise, it was a space, a perfect hexadecimal 20. So why wouldn't it be trimmed by the "trim trailing spaces" setting? So I tried to add just 1 space to the right of the indent and that time the indent has been trimmed.

What I understand of this is that it seems that the indent is somewhat "protected" from trim, even if it's composed of spaces, as long as there isn't any space after it. So putting a single space after it seems to "unprotect" it and the trimming can do it's job.

I know it's probably not a "protection" mode there, it's much more likely that when someone leave a trailing space at the end of a line, he wants it to be trimmed right away, but if he has an indent and leave the line, he doesn't want it to be trimmed because he wants to finish the line later.

I guess that is legitimate, but if I care enough to ask to use spaces for tabs, with the "real tabs" setting uncheck, and I ask explicitely to trim the trailing spaces, I need the indents to be trimmed the same way because they are composed of spaces as I wanted them to be.

I would like this to be recognize as a bug and hopefully fixed in a future release. It's the only thing keeping me from moving completely to PSPad and finaly trash UltraEdit.

Keep the good work,

John

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

Posted by: pspad | Date: 02/04/2009 18:15 | IP: IP Logged

Can you send me some sample where 020h isn't trimmed with TrimTrailing spaces fuction?

#3 Re: Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

Posted by: jberthiaume | Date: 02/04/2009 21:14 | IP: IP Logged

No problem,

I just sent you a private message to ask for your email, I'll give you a simple sample of the text file.

Thanks in advance,

John

#4 Re: Auto -indent and trim trailing spaces

Posted by: Stefan | Date: 02/05/2009 18:38 | IP: IP Logged

jberthiaume:
I just sent you a private message to ask for your email,

Take a look at PSPad Help menu, there is an option to send an mail,
and there is About-Dialog, and there is www.pspad.com

--
greets, Stefan
image (pleased user since 1722)
inofficial FAQs + Infos + Special Settings

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2014 Jan Fiala
Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák