You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > German Umlauts ...?

German Umlauts ...?

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

#11 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-24 14:46 | IP: IP Logged

Weihnachtsbescherung = a nice mess winking smiley

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#12 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-24 14:51 | IP: IP Logged

The Windows settings are okay as well as the content of your files. Most likely we have to wait for Jan who knows best what settings could cause your problems.
In menu "Ansicht" is there a hook in front of "OEM-Zeichen (DOS-Zeichensatz)"?

Steffen

#13 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-25 12:25 | IP: IP Logged

In the menu "View" -> In front of "Show OEM chars" is nothing/void.
I use English in PSPad to simplify discussion in this forum.

#14 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-25 17:39 | IP: IP Logged

hlk123:
I use English in PSPad to simplify discussion in this forum.

Fair enough.
Because you already reinstalled PSPad the only data that might have been left from the old installation could be in your user profile.
Rename folder "%appdata%\PSpad" (usually "C:\Users\<user namr>\AppData\Roaming\PSpad") to e.g. "PSPad_". PSPad will create it new as soon as you run it. If that doesn't help you can easily roll back to your former settings by deleting the new folder and rename the old back to "PSpad".

#15 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-25 18:17 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

Can you please tell us what do you see as Code page in the center of statusbar when you open your file?
Menu format, please ensure there is no CP Autodetection checked.
If the statusbar shows you OEM charset, go to menu format, change encoding to ANSI and reload your file (Ctrl+R)

#16 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-26 09:47 | IP: IP Logged

@Steffens / aGerman
I defer your "commands" to later ... smiling smiley .. until I understand more about code pages & encoding.

@pspad
Do you mean .. right below in the last line .. I read .. Text DOS Code page: ANSI(Windows)
I don't really understand what you mean .. sad smiley
BTW unfortunately .. I could upload ScreenShot to this forum ..

I think I understand what you mean. If I see (down below right side) OEM charsets .. then I should change "Format" to ANSI. Right?
BUT .. I've always check in the past the "Format". It was never "OEM". It was/is always ANSI. Strange ...

I think ... I forget for the time being this "problem".

Thank you.

#17 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-26 09:53 | IP: IP Logged

Hello. ANSI is OK.
So menu Format / Font - there should beb any unicode font - Courier NEW, Consolas.

To put schreenshot, use any imagehosting web, e.g. ctrlv.cz
and put link here

#18 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-26 11:48 | IP: IP Logged

@pspad
OK ... next time/problem I'll upload several screenshots ...

@steffen
You're a nerd? or an administrator? smiling smiley .. I didn't know what WMI(C) is ..

#19 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-12-26 12:16 | IP: IP Logged

hlk123:
I defer your "commands" to later ... smiling smiley .. until I understand more about code pages & encoding.

There were no commands. Everything to be done in the windows explorer winking smiley

Understanding code pages and fonts isn't that easy for the beginning.

A codepage is something like a translation table. Every file consists of bits and bytes. Also text files. Code pages are used for text encoding where a single byte shall be interpreted as a character. There are 256 different bytes where (exept of ECBDIC) the first 128 (0-127, also known as ASCII) are always the same. The remaining number of bytes is not even close to the number of characters in different languages and thus, these bytes are used to express different characters. E.g. if you save letter ä in ANSI (which defaults to Windows-1252 in Germany) then byte E4 (228) will be written to the file. If you read this file in a command line tool (which defaults to CP850 in Germany) you will see letter õ. Say, you send your file to a Russian whose ANSI code page defaults to Windows-1251 then he will see letter д even if the content of the file remains always the same. It's still byte E4. Code page tells the reading program how to interpret the bytes read. In other words it is the instruction what byte has to interpreted as what character. The tricky thing is that normally text files don't contain the information what code page was used to write the file. In your case PSPad interprets the text encoded in Windows-1252 like text encoded in CP850. There must be some wrong setting...
BTW To overcome these limitations there are already encodings that support unicode like UTF-8 or UTF-16.

A font is the instruction of how to graphically display the characters in a window. The concern of Jan is that even if a code page supports a certain character, the font might not support it.

hlk123:
You're a nerd? or an administrator?

Hehe, no neither of them. I'm an old guy with some experiences and besides of that I'm moderator at DosTips.com.

Steffen

#20 Re: German Umlauts ...?

Posted by: hlk123 | Date: 2017-12-26 16:34 | IP: IP Logged

@Steffen
Thank you ..

@pspad
Now each time I click a text-file I look at below right (statusbar?) .. to check its format.
I see that different formats are represented .. even Kamenickych!
I choose ANSI & click it and I exit.
Don't ask me who has ...
Now I check automatically each time ...
Thank you.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR