You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: again: external change detection of open file(s)

Re: again: external change detection of open file(s)

#1 again: external change detection of open file(s)

Posted by: autocart | Date: 2017-12-01 10:03 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,
working with PSPad 4.6.2(2750)
files located on intranet server: software??
PSPad running on Client: Windows 7x64 SP1

I already saw this thread:
How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Still, it does not work all the time.
e.g. if only one letter or one digit is exchanged for another one and this happens within a few seconds after a previous change has taken place then the change simply is not detected. period.

also, in case that the change is of a nature that it *is* detected, then the pop-up notification/query window is always hidden behind the main PSPad window. Most of the time it is really hard to make it visible. Sometimes it is not possible do make it visible in the foreground at all. However, since the main window is blocked in the meantime, I will have to kill the PSPad process in such a case and restart the whole program again -> PITA. This bug exists already for YEARS. Please, fix it at last. Thx.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 10:05 by autocart.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: again: external change detection of open file(s)

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-12-01 10:39 | IP: IP Logged

It's hard, especially on the network connection.
MS changed mechanism and cached data = it doesn't return change in all cases
Linux doesn't return you exact time.
So I need to tolerate some time interval.

I have another mechanism already in my notes, but it means I need to test it.

#3 Re: again: external change detection of open file(s)

Posted by: autocart | Date: 2017-12-04 08:24 | IP: IP Logged

Ok, thx for the reply and the explaination. Knowing the reason now, I feel safe.

The other issue is that the pop-up notification/query/confirmation window ("File contents were changed. Reload?") is always hidden behind the main PSPad window. I now managed to fix it with an ahk-script waiting in the background and activating that window once it pops up, thus bringing it to the foreground. But it would be nice if I did not have to use an external ahk-script. Is it really only happening on my machine? Can't really believe that. Thx for looking into it. Regards.

#4 Re: again: external change detection of open file(s)

Posted by: AndreasW | Date: 2017-12-04 10:12 | IP: IP Logged

autocart:
Is it really only happening on my machine?

On my machine, this problem does not occur. The notification dialog is in the foreground.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR